side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default side pipes

anyone have pictures of a 3rd gen with side pipes, or have a 3rd gen with side pipes,a budy of mine brought out hi s78 t/a with side pipes on it and i loved the sound and llok and thought it would fit my theme perfectly, for those of you who dont know my car is a pure prostreet car(except built for pure bottom end) but i cant seem to find any 3rd gens with them, ive found a couple with regular exhaust that dumps in front of the wheels but no true side pipes.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: side pipes

They are so low and I would not imagine one with the ground effects ever having them. It might not look so cool with them all melted to the side pipes

Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

As a matter of fact I saw one the other day out on Long Island while I was driving for work. It looked pretty cool but I didn't get a chance to take a picture. In agreeance to MadMike they were pretty low but the ground effects didn't look melted. If you want to try it go for and be different. If you do post some picks that would look good.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah ive thought about the ground clearance issues i need to change my ride height anyways, i still have the 21 year old v6 shocks on it, and the front valance actually scrapes off of speed bumps like i said this is just another thing im considering, i would like to see what they look like before i even go to much further into the process, as far as them melting the ground effects, most of the side pipes ive looked at had heat shields on them, and i know my buddys ta has heat shields on it, and after it driving for a hour those shields are actually decently cool. but like i said just something im considering, i still havent done my exhaust its still riding on the rigged up v6 exhaust and i have till the end of july before it needs done for inspection.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I gotta agree with you . . . I love the look of a well-done set of Lake pipes! Few things scream "hot rod" like a gleaming set of Lake pipes.

Last time I looked at them in the Summit catalog, they had several different lengths available, but you have to buy the heat shield seperately.

Maybe, instead of putting them below your rocker-panel ground effects, you could use these INSTEAD of the ground effects.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just noticed the whole inspection issue . . . where do you live? Might want to check into the legality of adding these; I know in Maryland you can't have the exhaust exit anywhere in front on a window that opens into the passenger compartment. Which, in this case, they almost definitely would, unless you run the risk of rubbing on the rear tires.

Of course, the county in Ohio in which I'm currently living (for only one more year, thank God!), has no such requirement. As long as your VIN matches your title, you pass inspection, and there is no emissions testing. So, I would definitely check into the legality of this first.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry to jack the thread, but . . .

Wait . . . I can't say "god" on this forum? I can say "hell" but not use the Father's title? That's gay. lol Ah well, what can you do? I'll just start saying, "Thank the Maker!" like C-3P0. HAHAHA!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Overdrive Member

use 0 instead of o so it looks like "G0D"

Old 06-30-2007, 12:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

AHA! Good call. Besides, two Star Wars quotes in a such a small space is starting to make me look like a huge dork. I mean, I AM, but I don't want to appear that way. lol

Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Overdrive Member

Hey may the force be with you man!

And it slipped my mind but early ground effects were SMC (fiberglass)

Quick Reply: side pipes