Shifting and trunk problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Red face Shifting and trunk problems

HI,
i have a 92 Automatic V8. and it no longer shifts it will do park, neutral, reverse, and drive. the problem i am having is shifting to second+. it dosent attempt to shift like the RPM will go up and up and up and wont shift wont jerk or grind or anything(even when using the gear selector going from 1 to 2 still dosent shift). the explanation i got was that i turned it on and it just didnt shift. so i thought fuses. i check all the fuses that the book mentioned and all were still intact and tested as clear. i didn't check any relays(because i dont know how). after that i checked all the fluid levels engine tranny and diff. all were toped off and normal colors. so then i jacked her up and checked all my connectors and lines etc etc unpluged all connectors and cleaned and re attached. still wont shift same results. any thought or ideas would be great help with that. i also checked the vacuum line to the tranny it is connected and didn't appear messed up

and now to my second problem defiantly not as major but still a pain.
with my trunk i believe a relay is busted or some thing heres the explination
when the on/off lever on the trunk release is clicked to off as in the trunk is closed everything is fine but you can lift the trunk with minumal effort and it will unlatch. and then the motor that is located back there to lock and unlock the truck will start to buzzzzzz kind of like its slipping a gear or some teeth are broken. but it wont stop after the trunk is opened it will buzz and buzz you close the trunk and it will continue to buzz so basickly what im saying is that the trunk release area is all messed up...... it currently stays latched unless you pick up on it slightly and the motor is currently unpluged and the key opens the trunk not the switch in the front i have no explination for how this happened.

other then those problems i just have a inherited ill maintained comaro that needs some love so if you could help me out with any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

kevin

Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear member

Is the TV cable on side of throttle body hooked up? Controls transmission shifts. Sounds like you need new trunk release or fix yours, must have stripped out

Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 AM
4th Gear Member

For your hatch opening Problem: You have to remove the rear panels and inspect the assembly for what is broken. My guess is the motor housing, plastic gear and the slides. You can Check with Top Down Soutions for the new parts. Also after a repair, DON"T let anyone close the hatch except yourself. Reason, people tend to slam that heavy hatch close which is a big "NO" "NO".

Old 01-22-2010, 02:08 PM

for the throttle body i just checked every line and it seams like some one did a half*** job of fixing a airline. it goes from the intake about 1/2 way up on the bottom side to the underside of the filter area. it looks like it was pinched and was repaired by placing a larger hose over the two broken ends.

i currently have the trunk release on a towel infront of me.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Unhappy trunk solved

turned out the clicking noise herd was the plastic gearing that moves the mechinisms up and down. went ot the local junk yard and scavenged one off a 91 firebird.

now im still having the same problem with shifting everything apears normal on the throttle body and is sttached isnt leaking and is tight and in its right position. and specificly im not sure what you wanted me ot look at so i checked out the whole thing. and no dice.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear member
Default shifting

you may have lost a clutch pack in the trans, sounds like all you have is the forward clutch pack, I can't remember if computer controls trans shifts. I'll check back later