She feels loose, PtII...input?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

About how much do you think they will want for it? Id hate to have you pull it, ship it to me and install it just to find out its just as beat up as mine. (Then again, this may be my only option because the last time I went to a bone yard for my Camaro, there were less than a dozen 3rd gens left spread across 60 miles......)

When are you going there?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Droid

Did you have the front end aligned after all the work you did?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^agree get her aligned if u havnt. also mine was pulling to one side real bad like what u are saying and it was the caliper on that side sticking. finally got so bad it was smokin so i had no problem diagnosing. lol. ruined the wheel bearing and rotor to.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Car was aligned, there is no evidence of the caliper sticking. Its the damnest thing. The outward pulling almost feels like the whole front end rocks the other way after I initiate a hard, fast turn. I suspected springs or suspension, but like I said, its ALL new. The ONLY part I havnt replaced is the gearbox.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think MadMike explained it pretty well before. Hold the adjustment screw in place while you loosen the lock nut so you don't lose your place. Tighten it a little bit at a time and take it for a drive. If you get the mesh too tight, the front wheels wont "self correct" after a turn. What you're doing is tightening up the gear mesh and taking out slop. That's what the adjustment is there for, and a box would have to be in hopeless condition before I would consider replacing it.
Another thing, what kind of condition are your front wheel bearings in? They could be completely dry, trying to lock up, and yanking the wheel over (if that's what it feels like).

Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should be able to get a rebuilt rack setup from napa for a reasonable price. i always have someone bounce the wheel back and forth while im under the front so i can see where the play is. follow the chain of motion starting with the steering shaft before it enters the rack unit all the way to the wheels. were the motion stops the troubles start.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

This has me stumped. I made the adjustment. First try the car wouldnt self correct, second try they were still on the tight side but I left it there. The car just doesnt seem to want to 'aim' itself...Im constantly correcting the car. There is a joint above the rag joint, right nect to the brake reservoir. It has a rubber bellows on it. The rubber has been scorched in several places from the headers. The joint seems to have some play in it but I dont know how much is normal. What is this joint and is it serviceable/ replaceable?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think you're describing the universal joint in the steering shaft. You might want to pull back the boot and see what it's doing (slop) when you rock the steering wheel back and forth.
Another idea, are your front struts in good shape? With the front wheels off the ground, can you pull the tops of them towards or away from you. Just thinking maybe the upper mounts may be shot allowing them to move, although something like that should have been spotted with the alignment.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

shows as one piece from the firewall to the steering gear, steering gear coupler shaft. 93 part #26020775

Old 09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Struts are 2 yrs old. What the hell is wrong with this car? Driving her is getting downright scary!

Quick Reply: She feels loose, PtII...input?