Rear Hatch efroster not operational

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Default Rear Hatch efroster not operational

So my rear window defroster isnt working. The switch light comes on when pressed so it looks like its on. Not one of the elements is working so Im guessing a bad connection somewhere.
Has this been a common problem. I thought I would ask before I start fishing.
Also, is the hatch supposed to pop ipen or just un lock. Wha I mean is, when new did the inside swict for the hatch unlock make the hatch open fully or just enough for someone to raise it manually?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just enough for someone to raise it manually.

Can't help you with the defroster thing though, mine doesn't work either.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM
4th Gear Member

Wore out hatch struts (hatch should open all the way). Make sure you buy the correct struts with the rear defoster connection. Replacement may cure both of your problems.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:14 PM

Ok so i found out that the rear hatch has new struts but i guess it may be too cold out for the struts to compress and release all that well. I still cant release the hatch with the interior switch.
The switch makes the hatch raise but will not release the hatch. i tried to see what happens, I am wondering if there is a cable missing. because the key turns the cylinder in turn pulling a cable attatched to the lock and releasing it.
when i hit the interior switch there is no cable pulling the pin to unlock.

Oh as far as the Defrosters go.
I noticed one of the plugs had melted. i am thinking there is a short or maybe corrosion caused lots of resistance and creating heat.
I really wnat to have the hatch open from the inside. but i know once I fix it, i will be on the hwy and accidentally hit the switch and will be cursing the switch that now works correctly.
LOL

Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 PM
4th Gear Member

I don't care how cold it is, if they are the correct struts they should pop that hatch wide open Don't worry about opening the hatch on rhe highway, a safety switch prevents this from happening Back to the rear defosters, do you have a conection on the struts??? If not, they are the wrong ones.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 PM

Yeah the connection is on the struts. I coneected everything back the way its supposed to be. i will check to see if the defroster is working in the am when we get some frost.

As far as the hatch not releasing. is there any way that the safety that doesnt allow the hatch to open at speeds is also keepig it from opeing in park.?
I will keep messing with the hatch and hepefully i will get it to pop way up.

i think I may have to take some video tommorow.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't think that is possible, more than likely it is a bad relay that is preventing power getting the switch to the release

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

the only time my hatch opens fully by itself is if its a warm(or hot) day maybe 65/70 and up, on a cool(or cold) day it pops enough for me to walk around and lift it the rest of the way, thats with new struts, if the gas in your struts do not expand with the heat they wont have enough pressure to raise it fully by themselves

I installed my hatch popper switch in my car when i replaced my Hatch pull down unit, my new one had the electric release so i decided to hook it up and make it work(all the body wiring in these 3rdgens are the same between respecting years and have the plugs for different options not on the car)

when you hit the hatch release in the car it doesn't use the cable like the key does,there is an actual electric release mounted on the bottom of the hatch pull down that releases it with the button, so your fine there

do you hear the hatch release working when you hit the button, it should make a noticeable Pop when you hit the button, if you do and the hatch does release but it still stays latched to where you have to use the key, you may need to adjust your pull down unit and align it with the striker on the hatch, it may be aligned enough to open and close it, but off just enough to catch it and keep it locked when you hit your release

your defroster switch seems operational, with all the wires attached correctly maybe you have a scratch on the grid somewhere, or one of the wires running to the rear defroster is shorting out somewhere

Last edited by Caveman305; 01-02-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Ok no poping sound when the button is hit. Just the sound of the motor raising the hatch then once fully up it starts back down.
I think i will be leaving it all alone till we get warmer weather. Today was nice out but the ground was all yucky from snow and salt and mud!!.
Right now i have to find out what happened to my high beam switch .

I will update on the defroster as soon as I get some jfog back there. maybe tommorow.