rear end question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Default rear end question

Quick explanation please... What do you mean by "rear end" & Why do I have to swap it if I get a very powerful engine?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: rear end question

10 bolt rear ends are week, sooooooooo the whole thing. look for a ford 8.8 if possible,

if you have an eaton gov lok, well, there also known as the grenade lok and a gov bomb, self spoken[8D]

Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken the "rear end" refers to the unit that spins your rear wheel axles. It's located in the carrier assembly that connects to your drive shaft. The carrier assembly houses both your left and right axles and the differential assembly (rear end). You want to upgrade it when you put a more powerful engine in because if the assembly, whether it's the differential or the carrier assembly, can't handle the power. You can run the risk of it blowing up, grenading on you what ever you want to call it. Like Abyliks says look for a ford 9 inch or 8.8 rear end. They can handle much more torque then the stock 10's. As far as gear ratio I would look for 3.73's or 4.11's. With the "rear end" you want to look for a limited slip differential to spin both wheels when you give her some gas. I hope that helped a little and if any one else has more info please post. I what to learn to

Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear member

why are you going to put a Ford rear end in a Chevy? pfftt , get a Currie built 12 bolt and keep your chevy , all chevy! the 12 bolt chevy rearend will handle anything you throw at it and you put more power to the ground with a 12 bolt because the ring gear is lighter. It's not as simple as "bolt in a 9" , the rearend in 3rd and 4th gens uses lower control arms , a torque arm , and panhard bar. you can get a 12 bolt from Currie Enterprises with any gear ratio you want , disc brakes , and a limited slip diff. ready to bolt in.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:01 PM

So in this picture is it the spherical structure in the middle of the axel?

http://members.aol.com/pullingtracto...s/pintrear.gif

Old 03-20-2007, 11:09 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: asdfghjkllkjhgfdsa

So in this picture is it the spherical structure in the middle of the axel?

http://members.aol.com/pullingtracto...s/pintrear.gif
You are correct in your answer and the picture is a good represntation of a common rear axle.
Before jumping to conclusions on the previous posts. What year and engine type do you have??.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear member

usually when people say "rearend" they mean the complete rear differential assembly (everything in the picture), the differental , the axles , and axle tubes. the acutal differential is where the gears are, there is a ring gear (the biggear shaped like a ring in the picture) a set of "spider gears" (real name isside gears) that attach to the axles, a pinion gear (the one connected to the drive shaft via a yoke) , and a carrier (which is what the ring gear bolts to and houses the side gears). if you have a Limited slip there will clutches or cones instead of side gears but all the other components are the same.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM

Alright I just got my 87 2.8 and I'm in the planning stages.
I'm only 16 so I have to do everything little by little.

I want to drop a 350 in it and stuff (to be announced) but my final goal is to end up with around 350HP idk how much torque though...

Old 03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear member

if your just wanting to make 350hp , you should swap a complete rearend from a '89 up F-Body , they have a larger ring ring gear and 28 spline axles instead of 26 spline. the 89 rear diff. will hold more power than the '82-'88 rearend as long as you don't beat on it.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 PM

So everything just bolts on?
It's that simple?

Quick Reply: rear end question