Please Help! I dont know whats going on!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Please Help! I dont know whats going on!

Well I just got back from racing tonight and I had to limp home... My car is well at slow speeds it feels like its wobbling and I hear a very deep wur wur wur kinda sound. and when I got home I decided to feel how hot the rear end was by touching the case and I nearly burned myself. Should that be that hot!? Anyone know what might be going on?

I was going about 100 on the quarter mile tho, and I lost to every car there, just a little bright side and Very sucky side I guess

*has a VERY bad feeling he may be buying a new rear end*

Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Please Help! I dont know whats going on!

A rear end will get hot but IMO not enough to burn you unless you're some kinda daisy. But with the noise you described I think you burned it up.

Oh and first time I ever took my 84 Z28 to the Wednesday night drags I brought home a trophy.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Have you checked the level of the oil in the rearend? It could be low...or worse!

Old 11-15-2008, 04:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

wait till it cools, pop the fill plug out on the rigfht side of the dif and stick you finger in and see how much lube is in there, but if its hot enough to burn you and its howling, yer buyin a new diff bud. you can try filling it back up with 80-90 gear oil with some slip additive if u have a LSD and see if that takes care of it, but chances are slim at that point.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm (insert MANY swear words here) Well... this is great... I'll get some more gear lube and top it off if its low. Er Ok how do I change something like that? New gears? Or would that be the ENTIRE thing? Either way how hard is it to do one or the other? And thanks for the info even tho it was really not what I wanted to hear...

Old 11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and Mike you probably dont live in a town where theres a LOT of real race cars either. For a redneck town there is a lot of very very fast cars and some trucks[:@] oil field workers money at work...

Old 11-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: BlueKitsune

Oh and Mike you probably dont live in a town where theres a LOT of real race cars either. For a redneck town there is a lot of very very fast cars and some trucks[:@] oil field workers money at work...
What ever makes you feel better. Yeah I only worked in the shop in front of Spartan Engne Development. Just an old guy the builds engine for top fuel dragsters and others like Riolo racing engines, John Shoemaker (r.i.p.). I live about in between John Force and Craig Breedlove.
Yeah no rich oil workers here.

But back on track. If you do have a LSD you can just use the Royal Purple lube. It already has friction modifyers in it.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

No clue if I have an LSD. But its a good thing I used royal purple when I changed it....At lest I think is used it in my Camaro... Eh anyways I can fix it till Friday

Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Well uh whats a good brand? Moser? Strange engineering? What? and what kind? 12bolt? ford 9inch?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:06 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Since you are basically stock, stick with a 10 bolt or a 9 bolt borg warner if you can find one. You were at the track racing... So how dont you know what an LSD is? Did both tires light up or was it the dreaded one wheel peel?

Quick Reply: Please Help! I dont know whats going on!