pistons

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Default pistons

Hey guys, i've just ordered some forged aluminum pistons for my project camaro, i was happy with my choice until a friend told me i had made a big mistake and that i should have gone with hypereutectic pistons instead. he said that the forged aluminum will just be too loud and the hypereutectic pistons in the end will produce more power and last longer for me. i have no plans on boosting this engine and no NOS, just a weekend drag car that will be pushing around 400-500 hp, nothing more. just curious on other people opinions, thanks.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84-z28-305
Hey guys, i've just ordered some forged aluminum pistons for my project camaro, i was happy with my choice until a friend told me i had made a big mistake and that i should have gone with hypereutectic pistons instead. he said that the forged aluminum will just be too loud and the hypereutectic pistons in the end will produce more power and last longer for me. i have no plans on boosting this engine and no NOS, just a weekend drag car that will be pushing around 400-500 hp, nothing more. just curious on other people opinions, thanks.

pistons won't help "produce more power" so to speak

please elaborate on your build

Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 AM

Im swapping in a 91 5.7l with 96 vortec heads, roller rocker arms oversized valves, rough idle hydraulic cam and lifters, everything is being machined and im going to get 4.060 bore, as far as the bottom end goes i don;t have anything in my garage yet i still need to go buy the rest of my setup this weekend. by "produce more power" i meant more along the lines of better compression with the hypereutectic piston setup than the forged aluminum.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Droid

The important differences between the two types of pistons are that the forged pistons are stronger and can hold power and withstand detonation better. The forged aluminum pistons expand more than the hypereutetic so they require slightly more clearance resulting in more noise when the engine is cold. However, once the engine is at working temperature the the forged pistons will have expanded more and and taken up the extra clearance, and the noise will be the same. If you plan to use power adders, very high compression, or very high RPM, the forged pistons will stand the stress better, otherwise power production will be practically the same.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84-z28-305
Im swapping in a 91 5.7l with 96 vortec heads, roller rocker arms oversized valves, rough idle hydraulic cam and lifters, everything is being machined and im going to get 4.060 bore, as far as the bottom end goes i don;t have anything in my garage yet i still need to go buy the rest of my setup this weekend. by "produce more power" i meant more along the lines of better compression with the hypereutectic piston setup than the forged aluminum.
I thought you were building a 400-500HP engine?

anyway, you provided no details other than vortec head

why are you having the block bored .060? Did the machine shop say the block is that crappy that it must be bored that much? Unless you sleeve it the block is toast after .060 so if you're starting with that questionable of a block I'd look for another

And, since it sounds like you're hoping to do a complete build, and don't have the rotating assembly, then why not make it a 383?

More displacement means you don't have to go as radical of a cam to get power and you get more lower end and it's street friendlier

Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM

the block is in fine condition, i just got an amazing deal on a bottom end rotating assembly pistons an all for .060

Old 09-23-2012, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Is the bottom end forged? If not, forged pistons may be overkill. If you are building a 350 thats .060" over with normal performance compression (12ish:1)...its probobly not worth the cost of forged.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned

why is it that everywhere on this forum people have to knock what others want to do? this guy got a deal on parts so why do you care if its .060 over? its what he got and at a decent price it will run very well with more than stock power for a long time. I really hate it when people try to drag down someone with the I know all come worship at my feet cuz your a dip$hit attitude. I guess I need to just not visit this forum anymore cuz more and more this is what I see!!!! to the op you did just fine with your purchase if you assemble it correctly it will give you good service for a long time dont listen to those who would tell you you screwed up cuz truth be known they are probbably jobless and couldnt afford to do what you are in the first place. with that said Ill just go kick rocks!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by A2TURBO;645614[B
]why is it that everywhere on this forum people have to knock what others want to do?[/B] this guy got a deal on parts so why do you care if its .060 over? its what he got and at a decent price it will run very well with more than stock power for a long time. I really hate it when people try to drag down someone with the I know all come worship at my feet cuz your a dip$hit attitude. I guess I need to just not visit this forum anymore cuz more and more this is what I see!!!! to the op you did just fine with your purchase if you assemble it correctly it will give you good service for a long time dont listen to those who would tell you you screwed up cuz truth be known they are probbably jobless and couldnt afford to do what you are in the first place. with that said Ill just go kick rocks!
hes not knocking him for going .060 over, at that bore the cylinder walls get pretty thin. not saying the op isnt a normal person but most people dont go .060 over unless the block is pretty shot. not to mention he didnt tell us that he got a good deal on a rotating assembly until after the question was asked. maybe you should reread what you posted about knocking peoples builds before you go into my honda thread and trash talk that.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

.060 over is pushing the limits of the cylinder walls integrity. Any slight core shift in the casting, and .060 overboring can go through, or leave it paper thin, which will eventually result in a crack even though the cylinder wall "looked" good.
BEFORE having any machining done to the block, have it sonic tested to see if the walls are thick enough to safely take .060.

Quick Reply: pistons