No idea what engine i have, how do i set timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear member
Default No idea what engine i have, how do i set timing?

so. 87 z28 305 sbc..

I'm pretty sure my timing is off a bit because I moved it when I replaced the intake mani, and when i floor it in neutral now it wont rev up it'll just shut off and die unless i release the peddle. before it was fine, so i assume the timing is off.

This isn't the regular block and i cant find anything under the casting number. so the numbers on the tab thing are different than what i've been told to set it to, the numbers on the tab thing read: from left to right 12 - 8 - 4 - 0 - 4

What number am i supposed to line up the harmonic balancer groove with?

I have a timing light.

Thanks all.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

need to know what type of fueling it has

Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Carbed.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

your gonna have to play with it to get it right. when i was carbed i ran at 12* at idle.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Droid

Get a TDC finding tool that fits in the #1 plug hole, and make a new mark on either the damper or the timing mark tab.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

DO NOT do what I did once...

A guy told me to just keep advancing the timing until it stumbled, then back off a bit and run that. Well, let me tell you, 18-20 degrees advanced will make your engine run so hot you will damn near blow it up!

So, the moral of the story....12-13 degrees will be fine.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Well... I move the timing all around trying to find it where it will run where i can floor it and it wont die, and i found a spot where it will do that but its nowhere near any of the numbers on the timing tab thing, its like an inch or so away from the tab. when i put it on 12, and floor it, it dies. but where i have it now, like 2 inches away from 12, it wont die when i floor it but it runs like crap still..... wtf do i do. -______-

Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your car has/used to have an emissions info label under the hood that tells what the ignition timing is supposed to be set at. If the engine doesn't run well where it's supposed to be, something got screwed up. Here are some ides:
1) Your harmonic damper has a spun outer ring, putting the notch in the wrong place.
2) You said "this isn't the regular block", that means a different timing chain cover with the wrong timing tab could have been put on when the engine was changed.
3) Your computerized distributor could have been messed with, or disconnected from the computer, etc. You do have it completely hooked up right, right?
4) Is it possible you may have crossed a couple of plug wires? Are the plug wires snapped into the distributor cap real well? If either one of those is goofed up, your engine will surely run like crap.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

guess i should have asked. does it have an hei distributor in it?? large cap with coil in it. if not you are prolly running the wrong distributor.
now if it does have an hei in it then your timing tab may be the wrong one. is it a chrome timing tab. if so is 0* around 12:30 to 1:00 a clock position?? the tru timing tab from going from ecm control to carb is a different one. it is a longer one that puts the numbers almost to the middle of the front cover.

Mr. Gasket 4600 - Mr. Gasket Timing Tabs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

it should look like this. if it is shorter than this one it is the wrong one.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by c4maro
Well... I move the timing all around trying to find it where it will run where i can floor it and it wont die, and i found a spot where it will do that but its nowhere near any of the numbers on the timing tab thing, its like an inch or so away from the tab. when i put it on 12, and floor it, it dies. but where i have it now, like 2 inches away from 12, it wont die when i floor it but it runs like crap still..... wtf do i do. -______-
First....relax.....Im the only one around here whos allowed the get my panties in a bunch over this stuff..... 8*) (the regulars will understand....Im prone to fits when my **** doesnt work)

You need to start from scratch. If you are running a confirmed 12' and shes still not acting right....then something else is wrong. Is your carb adjusted? Are you setting timing with Vac advance hooked up? (bad idea)

I know all sorts of ideas are going to get thrown at you but look at the obvious...it was running fine before you pulled the dist. You installed something incorrectly. Find TDC, pull the dist and wires, put it back on and reconnect everything....I know this sounds redundant, but its logical.

Quick Reply: No idea what engine i have, how do i set timing?