New Member 1988 RS Senior Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New Member 1988 RS Senior Project

Hello everyone. My name is Matt and I have purchased a 1988 Camaro RS with t-tops for my Senior Class Project. The car has 43,000 miles on it. The car was involved in an accident and sustained rear end, left quarter damage.

After the accident, the car was considered totalled because the estimate to repair it was over $6000. The car interior and exterior are in to good of shape to let the car be scrapped, so my father and I have elected to purchase the car for $1200.00 and do a lot of the repair work ourselves.

I will be posting pictures of the car and the damage shortly. I will then post pictures of the progress and ultimately the end result.

I will be asking for advise as I go along. I will also graciously accept input from forum readers.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would recomend that you use photobucket for posting pictures. after opening the free account download pictures (for the site size them at 640 or less on the big side) and copy the img code to post. picture will show in post. great that dad is helping out, sounds like a fun project and we'll be lookin for them pictures.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Name:  1988ChevroletCamaroRSDamage.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  39.4 KB

Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Name:  2010-11-09_16-42-47_4.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  78.0 KB

Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Name:  1988CamaroRSsideview.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  5.7 KB

Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Name:  1988CamaroRSPassengerSide.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  35.9 KB

This is a few pictures of the car as it sat at the "boneyard". The car had arrived there three days before my father stopped to see if the owners might have a car worth salvaging. As you can see from the pictures, the car is worth saving. There is no rust, tears or cracks in the interior, paint is perfect and only 43,000 miles on the engine. Look forward to putting this car back on the road.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow that is in very good shape. lucky dog. oh and matt you can put more than one picture in one post. lol. live and learn.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

thats a good find for that price. do you plan on repairing or replacing that quarter? do you have any local yards with those parts availible (as i can see the hatch is broken). theres a few around here that have a bumper, hatch, and good quarter if you are looking for used replacements.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Quarter panel

I would take it to a frame shop and have them pull it as close to original as possible. Then remove anything near it that bolts on. Smooth anything as much as you can with a hammer and dolly. I would remove only as much as the quarter panel as needed. Keeping the repair as small as possible. I have repaired damage like this in a week at the shops I have worked in. This isn't an easy repair, but it isn't difficult as long as you take it slowly, and carefully. All of this is said not knowing your extent of knowledge in this area. Have fun with it, it looks like a very nice car.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Update: Car is home and the clean up has started. My dad will not let me take too much off of the Camaro at this time due to we will only take it to the frame shop in mid-January. We did locate a hatch and will be picking it up tomorrow. We will be looking for a bumper and all the components. Microkid, if you have some contacts let me know.

We have been searching the web for new parts for seals and lights. We are going to replace all the door, t-top and window seals. We want to buy new tail lights and front parking lights (they are starting to discolor). Also I will need to get a rear lap belt assembly as the right rear is locked and will not retract. I would also like to locate a rear windo louver. The Crager one that was on the car was broken and is not repairable.

Any suggestions, let me know. New pictures will be added when the cleanup is completed.

Quick Reply: New Member 1988 RS Senior Project