New to camaros

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Default New to camaros

Hey guys this is my first camaro and i just had a question relating to the temp. just wanted to know where the needle should be when at normal operation temp. Right now mine is a bit under the 220 mark is that a good temp? or am i running a bit to warm?
Yes this is my first V8 but its not my first car haha.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well Mr D, you have asked one of our more common questions around here, so lets get started.

First, the basic questions.....

What year are you driving, what engine do you have in it, what mods have been done, what temp t-stat is installed, is your air dam in place, how old is your radiator?

ASSUMING your car is stock or slightly modified, 220 is a bit warm. We can debate this subject all day long, but you probably own a 25 year old car and your cooling system may need some new parts. I always vote for a new radiator after all the other options have been done (tstat and air dam) Most veteran members here remember my story well....I tried every trick in the book to bring my operating temp below 200 degrees. New radiator fixed everything.....

Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Ok well my camaro is an 83 Z28. I have a BONE STOCK 305 LG4, it seems to me i have the stock water pump. so yea i was thinking it was running a bit to warm. Its not on 220 exactly its just a bit under, but yea i was thinking it was a tad bit to warm haha. well where should it be on? is it supposed to be on the notch before 220?

I do have a new water pump i have just bought and a new thermostat too, well that and just about the entire top end to refresh haha.
Thanx for replying so quick scottD

Old 03-13-2011, 03:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

If its bone stock and nothing has been fussed with, then yes, Im going to say you are running a bit hot. But again, is your air dam in place? This is the number 1 cause of a hot running 3rd gen. If the dam is there, then my suggestion is a radiator flush (which wont do any good, but people always insist on doing a flush before they realize that their radiator is just full of 25 years of scale and sediment.)

New Napa stock radiator costs less than a hundred bucks and takes less than 2 hours to install.....just saying.....

Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Air dam? meaning the fan shroud? if so then yes i do have it installed. but thank you for the quick replys my friend. i work in advance so i can get the radiator cheap. Ill be getting that this week.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Dz28
Air dam? meaning the fan shroud? if so then yes i do have it installed. but thank you for the quick replys my friend. i work in advance so i can get the radiator cheap. Ill be getting that this week.
NO! There is supposed to be a large, flat strip protruding from below your cars nose. Its very easily damaged by curbs...and often removed by unknowing owners. This 'air dam' is CRUCIAL to your cars cooling system. Dont even think about replacing anything until you verify if that dam is in place or not.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM

ok yes i see it. now let me explain this to you. I noticed this today and was shocked. So i drove from work to the post office temp was just under the 220 notch. so i turn it off went in for 1 min and turn it on and drove. and the temp was above the first notch before the 220 one.. and stayed there till i got home... so is this my cluster?
I did notice that the temp sensor is new on the water outlet.. so yes im lost.

Aso just for more info on this my tach is acting wired. it jumps to 7k than while driving it goes down to 1k than rises slowly to 7 k again..

Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Mines moves up and down and touches 3/4 at times. :0

Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 AM

yea i found a cluster so ima buy it and see whats up with that. and tomarrow is the day i work on the timing chain water pump thermo and every thing on the top end

Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM
4th Gear Member

is that where the temp is while you're driving above 30mph? If so, and if you are running a 180 or 190 degree thermostat then you either are missing the air dam, are low on coolant or have a blockage.

If that is where it runs in traffic, then that is around where the fan actually kicks on. There is a sensor (fan switch) on the passenger side above the knock sensor. It's a thermal switch and doesn't close until around 228 degrees. You can get a Hypertech aftermarket for $40 that turns the fan on sooner.

iF you notice the temp rising in traffic, then turn on your A/C and the cooling fan should go on and your engine temp will drop

Quick Reply: New to camaros