Need Help W/ Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Default Need Help W/ Purchase

Hi. I am looking into buying a Camaro and I love the 3rd Generation model. I am looking right now at a 1987 Camaro IROC-Z which has 136,000 miles on the body but the guy just had a newly built 383 Stroker put in which he says has less than 10,000 miles on it. The body looks to be in good shape and I believe he is asking about 5,000. Just wondering if this sounds like a good deal or what. Anything I should look out for when purchasing this generation model? Thanks for any input.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Need Help W/ Purchase

I don't know what it is like in your area. Lots of Camaros or not. But I can tell you that when I was looking to replace my 84 there were lots of them and for well under $5000. If its a 3rd gen you want I would think you could find one cheaper and put the difference into it. If a 383 were to be in the future plans then that may be the car for you.
Back in 04 when I was looking there were a number of IROCs' with a 305 for around $2500. Plus the economy was better then and people were not hard up trying to sell for as much as they can get.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the input. This is a link to the vehicle in question. would appreciate input if you have any on it. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140271238166

Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: FearThisInc

Thanks for the input. This is a link to the vehicle in question. would appreciate input if you have any on it. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140271238166
i saw the "6.2L" on that and instantly though "did someone swap a 6.2 diesel in that thing???"

Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 1990CamaroRS

i saw the "6.2L" on that and instantly though "did someone swap a 6.2 diesel in that thing???"
Nice catch. You are right. A 383 would actually be rounded to 6.3L

And I think the best input would be to check the car out in person and drive it. If you can not do that then pass. I myself have seen too many people getting ripped from ****-E-bay sellers on autos. Plus figure his price is jacked to pay Egays high fees

Old 10-04-2008, 01:31 AM

What should I be looking for when I go to check it out in person if I can make arrangements? The drive is an hour away which is not bad. But truth is I know nothing about these cars. this is going to be my first one. The only thing that makes me nervous is that all this work was done but the car won't be able to handle it. I am just looking for a side vehicle to have some fun with on the weekends.. Reading all of the work that was done makes me think the car will move and be enjoyable.. I am going to have to see if I can test drive it. But again what should I be looking for?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First of all be sure the engine is legit. It looks like it was obviously out, but it could still be a plain jane 305 with high miles or something. Check the radiator support for damage, check underneath real well, test drive it, see if there is any play in the steering, listen for any unusual noises from the rear end and such, romp on it a few times and make sure the tranny isn't slipping, just basically look for something out of the ordinary.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Lifted from advice I gave to another friend :v

When you go to look at it- make sure the owner starts it up and lets you test drive it- ideally everything should sound and move smoothly. The engine should start easily, acceleration should be smooth and not jerky, braking should be firm and even.

As for body condition, check everything. Look for rust, damage, even water marks in every square inch of the vehicle, as any one of those could indicate some problem or other that will come up (and problems will come up ) and cost you money. Even the condition of the paint is important to look at- scratches, scrapes, pinholes of rust, will indicate how well the owner has taken care of the car.

Under the hood, it's much the same. Look for damage, rust, wet spots and stains- these latter will indicate fluid leaks that will cost money to repair. Check the fluid levels if you know how, remember engine oil, transmission fluid (if automatic tranny) brake fluid, power steering fluid, even windshield washer fluid. These should be clear and not burnt, filled to the proper level, and obviously not have any debris or foam floating in them.

Finally, the most important part- are you comfortable in the vehicle? How is visibility? Can you see around yourself easily enough? Do the various features all work, such as air conditioning, radio, tape deck, heater, windshield wipers, defrosters (although you may not be able to check this one easily)

That about covers everything I can think of- essentially, you want to find out how everything works and if it works, and if it doesn't, whether or not it's important. Don't take the deal unless you're personally satisfied with it.

Of course this goes quite in-depth, but if you're discreet you should be able to check most of these things without really looking like it. After that it really depends on what you want out of the car- personally speaking, I wouldn't be willing to pay as much for a car that deviates from stock, but that's your call in the end.

Good luck~