my new (?) 84

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default my new (?) 84

this is the story.
the car was advertised as a camaro need new tranny and rear end would make a nice project 700 dollars.........thats all.
when called I was told it was a 6 banger( My Bro was told it was a 4). ok so it is a barlenetty, at best.( or what ever its spelling). I lost interest, didnt want the hassel with the space age thing. she told me it was a basic sleeper.
My Bro in real wanted to go see anyway just for something to do.
ok fine, I was bored.
turns out it was a 84 z28 with t tops and the 305 HO, 5 spd and posi rear and all the electric stuff ( windows trunk cruise air everything) she said it was a dare car so we thought it may have a 350 in it. not so. after some minor tinkering we got the motor started. a bad knock was detected. not good. put some cheep gas in it, changed the oil and filter and plugs.and its alot better, but still knocks a little. the trany had no 5th or reverse. ( its the 5 spd manual) turns out the driver side bolt that is for those 2 gears was turned out( she did mention that they didnt know how to add fluids so they removed the shifter to add fluidsso assume they loosed it thinking it was the fill screw). I now have those gears.the body looks great. yes there is some surface rust in a few places but minor, and rust underneath but nothing through) she also clamed that a mechanic told her the rear end ( posi ) was almost shot, and she bought a new one, which she gave me( we all know how some mecanics are. lol.).
that will be swapped this weekend.
yes I bought it. wouldnt you??LOL......
oh ya, she did mention that it had the funky trunk louvers. ya know those things that keep sun off the inside but you can still see out the back? LOLOL. also I now know that this motor is to run the 92 octane stuff ( it now has the cheap 84 suff), so I am thinking that when I start running it ( the 92),the rest of the knock will go away. and she said the tranny was rebuilt. that I believe cause it had the ATF in it and not the gear lube
I will be honest and say as of this post I know less then nothing about the camaro and all I have learned recently is all I know from being on line, so if anyone has any usefull info for me it would be greatly apreciated. like parts catalogs and such.I plan on a stock restore of this car.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: my new (?) 84

sounds like you got a pretty good deal there, post some pics.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3158818

there are 3 pics here that are when I first piced it up

Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It looks like you found a good deal. I don't think that you need to run the higher octane gas on the stock motor though but i could be wrong

Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

so far as the octane, I am just going by what I read. 89 or 90 might be ok, but not the 86 or whatever is in there now.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:15 AM
BackseatBob

Heck yeah, I'd buy that for $700. Good car for that money. Once you finish all the work on it I'll buy it from you for $500.Are you going to build a motor for it?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont know what I am gonna do motor wise yet. its on the road now and its sweet with what it has, so over the winter I plan on some motor,interiour(?) and body work, which wont need to much, then fresh gloss black paint with gold trim in the spring. once I show it off during the summer we will see. My brother and me will be building a 383 stroker for his chevell this winter and he has a 350 4 bolt in it now, soooooooooo.