Need help with Vin number

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Default Need help with Vin number

hello new here. How are you guys doing.

I need some information on a vin number. My husband is a mechanic and we are working on a '91 Camaro RS. It has a blown motor in it due to lack of oil. Let me fill youin a little about the car and why we need info. on it. Person A had the car and use to run it down the drag stripe. So the motor was beef up some. Roller cam, lifters, etc. 9" ford rear end with 4.11 gear.

Person B bought the car from person A for his 16 year old son. His son blew it up. So now we are working on the car. The dad would like for the rear gear be changed. We thought a 3.50 gear, the son thinks that is to high. Thinking of getting crate motor for to rebuild this one would cost to much dad thinks. But the questions are:

What rear gear came in the car from factory?
Is this a Z28 or an RS? For on the ground effects it states Z28.

Could someone break down the vin number for me and tell me if this is a Z28 or what?

And to we manly deal with Fords and know all the places to go to for Ford parts. But is there a good place to get parts for these cars. As this car needs a front spoiler.

Thanks for helping and I hope you can understand this. For you know how women can be when they are trying to tell someone something.

Thanks,
Krista

Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Post VIN help.

Krista, Hi I'm new here also but not new to camaros,maybe i can help. First, if you go to Autocheck.com you can check some VIN# info for free. It'll give you year, make, MODEL, body/style, engine, and country of assembly. The web site advertised elswhere on this site is NOT free, despite what it says. Now as far as rear end gearing goes, it depends on application or shall I say "car usage". If your planning to drive daily with occaisional trips to the 'strip' then a more user friendly ratio like 3:20's to 3:40's would be more suitable than 4:10's. But what trans in use? What tire size(over-all height)? Cam size? Power-range? these questions need to be answered before a recomendation can be made for racing.As far as factory gearing, I believe there were only two choices 3:08 and the optional 3:23. I may be off a little on those numbers but I think I'm in the ballpark. FYI 4:11's in a car with a 3spd automatic trans and a 31" tall tire@65 mph, puts the rpm's over 3000. thats pretty high for highway driven daily driver, but if you change to an 'overdrive' type trans like a 700R4 or a T-56 type 6sp manuel the rpm's would fall below 2000 maybe even 1500., its a popular swap. Now about parts for 3rd gen camaros, what can I say...there availiable. One place to try is Classic Industries, they got good new stuff. By the way, that front spoiler is $200 new, but I've seen it as low as $20. bucks on EBAY and Craigslist. Hope this helps.