My situation(HELP!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Default My situation(HELP!!)

Alright, lets start things off, im 14 years old. I got a 1992 Camaro RS/SS. Can't drive yet. But Its a project car, runs, its in amazing condition, My mom works at Advanced auto parts, i get a %85 discount off all parts. But the question is. What i wanted to do, was make my camaro not like anyone elses. not the same. I was thinking of "17 inch black 5 spoke rims(pretty basic not over done.), And A Big spoiler, or Gut it out and use it as a drag car, (im getting a truck for my 17th birthday.), But the thing is its only a V6. So i dont see much success of dragging it. But i dont wanna over do it. Like i wanted to know where those rims to much? Is the spoiler to much also? I mean i know for the engine im going with mostly just edlebrock parts, and K&N, and stuff. Like nothing low quality. This car is going to be not legal, from what im looking to do. Any suggestions on making this car like a new style, not Flow masters and stuff, but then again i dont want to make it complete rice. :\ Help me out?

-Nick

Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My situation(HELP!!)

u need to look though this site more, and the ideas will come little dude
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nick, go outside and play, the adults are having a conversation................[8D]

OK, seriously, Im just bustin yer *****.

Spoiler? Um, no. Spoilers are for ricers.
Rims........17 might be OK, but stick to a old fashioned look, not some trendy chromed out crap. Look at Cragar (sp) classics for an example....

Now, for the engine.......dude, a V6 just isnt a 'race' motor, no matter HOW you cut it. You could spend your money on intake, exhaust and ignition parts but you are still gonna have a V6 that will get eaten alive by a mild ricer. If you are REALLY interested and have the money, you gotta drop a V8 in it to get the performance you need.

Good luck young Jedi.........

Old 09-08-2007, 01:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Or you could turbocharge it.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

If you got the time and the money, and the expertese, what iwould do is save up for an egine swap, get a 350 V8 for it you can get one from a junkyard relatively cheap, fix it up, replace stock with performance, now im not entirely sure the steps to convert a V6 to a V8 is but im sure there are some posts up about that. For mods for the V8, get performance heads, camshaft, intake, headers, ect. Get a posi rear end with 3.42 or 3.73 gearing would work fine, work on gettin a 3" flowmaster exhaust. As far as the body goes? A camaro is a muscle car, you dont put big spoilers on muscle cars. Stick with the ducktail spoiler, For rims, as ScottD said, go with the classic look, i got a set of cragars for my car, you can get them relatively cheap and they look awesome. You can get performance hoods, like cowls, iroc turbo hood, ect. Doing all that, will make a camaro run like a camaro should.

350 V8- ive seen them at junkyards for 100-400 depending on the condition
Camshaft- (new) $130 for cam and lifters if its a flat tappet, probably closer to 300 if its a hydraulic tappet with lifters.
Heads- you can spend a fortune on heads, for good ones can be over a 1000 on a pair, but im sure someone else on the forums could tell you more about heads.
Intake- anywhere from between $100-$400
Exhaust- for a full 3 1/2" exhaust with headers could be close to a $1000
Rear end- i found a posi rear end off craigs list with 3.42s and i got them for $250, but you can spend a fortune on those if you cant find a deal.
Rims- a new set of cragars goes anywhere from between 150-300
hood- A new fiber glass hood goes for $400 then you gotta get it painted.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

when i said 3 1/2" exhaust i meant 3" >.<

Old 12-14-2007, 05:12 AM

Alright sorry for replying to such old of a topic. So Yeah I'm going to need a engine hoist for sure. But like Could I just basicly drop the motor in, bolt it together, and it'll start? Like is it hard or easy? I mean i decided that i'm really not going to rice it the hell out. But i really want it like muscle style. Probolly American Racing Wheels, not cragers, I could probolly find the motor on craigslist. Alright im gonna go see waht i can do.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Dump the RS - SS badges because there is no such SS model for 1992 and it makes you sound kind of Dumb.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

" i get a %85 discount off all parts."

If that is true you should go buy everything in the store and sell it on ebay. You would make a killing and you could buy an 09 camaro and still have money left over. Course the store would go out of business cause they only have a 20-25% markup, and on some items its less then that.

Best thing to do is look around on car pic sites on the web and find out what you like. If you like the looks of a big wing then go for it. I am not saying copy any one car.The fin from this car the rims from that onethis color with ghost flames ect...A car should be a extension of yourself. Don't try to build it the way we say. Once you decide how you want it to look then come here and and we will help you get there. Just ignore the flamers that hate cause they don't like what you like. It's the young that set the styles and the old that hate becausetheir styleis now the past. First off make a planwith a buget and a time line. Dont touch a bolt before you know exactly what you are doing.
Good luck with your car.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks alot dude, and i found out that its you only pay 80 percent of the price, the car wont start, im going to pick it up tommorow, my step dad and dad are both going to look at it again, because they think its a fuel pump. which is only 71 at my moms work without a discount. And thanks for telling me, to do what i want.