My first 3rd Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by djs383
How different externally is the 400 Vs. the 305 it came with?
Size wise, none at all, the 400 is still a small block. Depending on the year, the 400 block has either the typical sbc 2 casting plugs on both sides, or it also could have 3 plugs (3 would be an easy tip off telling it's a 400).

Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Size wise, none at all, the 400 is still a small block. Depending on the year, the 400 block has either the typical sbc 2 casting plugs on both sides, or it also could have 3 plugs (3 would be an easy tip off telling it's a 400).

I guess my sarcasm didn't come across effectively. That question was meant for a previous poster who said they didn't know you could fit that big of a motor in a 3rd gen....Sometimes writing isn't as good as old fashioned spoken conversation.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by djs383
I guess my sarcasm didn't come across effectively. That question was meant for a previous poster who said they didn't know you could fit that big of a motor in a 3rd gen....Sometimes writing isn't as good as old fashioned spoken conversation.
Ohhhhhhhh, I did miss the sarcasm! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk....is that a more suitable response then?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow, a lot better than I expected. Sweet deal. And I guess there isn't much difference between the motors size wise, I just remember my uncle doing an engine swap(when I was 11) and he had to put in some serious hours to make the snug fit. That was in a '71 and the 3rd gens seem a bit tighter under the hood no? Forgive me if I am completely wrong, I am trying to get my S*** together lol

Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

From my exp., the 700r4 doesn't hold up well at all in stock form. OD is weak and the trans will blow apart as did all mine if you add even only just 80-90 hp. The 200 4r that came in the Grand National, is a much stronger pulling trans and is entirely stronger than the 700. Any trans shop will surely agree as the facts are the facts and can't be changed. It's basically the weakest trans ever put in a v8 . The 3rd gen. Camaro, although looks great, was surely not a high performance car. Back then, auto makers didn't know how to build big power and still meet gov. regulations. so the drive trains were weak. Read any book on the history of the camaro and you'll see that what I've stated is common knowledge.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by camaroxguy
Wow, a lot better than I expected. Sweet deal. And I guess there isn't much difference between the motors size wise, I just remember my uncle doing an engine swap(when I was 11) and he had to put in some serious hours to make the snug fit. That was in a '71 and the 3rd gens seem a bit tighter under the hood no? Forgive me if I am completely wrong, I am trying to get my S*** together lol
The gen1 Chevy small block came in one external dimensional size, and the 400 is still a small block. Your uncle was cramming a big block into his car, a totally different animal.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mezzyshredder
From my exp., the 700r4 doesn't hold up well at all in stock form. OD is weak and the trans will blow apart as did all mine if you add even only just 80-90 hp. The 200 4r that came in the Grand National, is a much stronger pulling trans and is entirely stronger than the 700. Any trans shop will surely agree as the facts are the facts and can't be changed. It's basically the weakest trans ever put in a v8 . The 3rd gen. Camaro, although looks great, was surely not a high performance car. Back then, auto makers didn't know how to build big power and still meet gov. regulations. so the drive trains were weak. Read any book on the history of the camaro and you'll see that what I've stated is common knowledge.

The earliest 700R4's did have some issues. However from 87 on they were pretty good. On paper, a lower 1st gear with OD is about as nice a package you can get for a street machine. When I did my resto, I bought a new Hughes built 700R4 gauranteed for 750HP. I had considered a TH350 or even 400, but they stated it was unecessary work to fab xmember and driveshaft when I can put in a trans that is every bit as strong and will drop in place.

On motor swaps a lot of people don't realize how important that TV cable is in both adjustment and geometry, if thats not properly adjusted you can trash your clutches in only a few miles. Just an opinion....

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Banned

Thanks for the knowledge. I didn't know you could build em up that strong. You are right, they DO pull super well in 1st gear. Never to old to learn something, lol