more camaro troubles...please help! wont start !

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Default more camaro troubles...please help! wont start !

so, a while ago i replaced some melted wires to the starter, which i believe was causing the car not to start. along the way i put in a battery cuttoff switch, i bought new 4 gage battery cable and ran it from the battery to inside of the car where i put the battery off switch, then from there i ran cable to the starter. this solved the problem and the car started whenever i wanted for a while, but the cut off switch doesnt cut the power. now a few days later my car wont start again... i turn the key and nothing happens...im wondering if the little wire that is attached into the positive battery cable needs to be run to the switch as well or does it just stay in place? any ideas as to why my cars not starting again now? starter solenoid? maybe the wire that is attached to the positive battery cable has something to do with it? let me know your thoughts, thanks very much guys.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

yes that small wire sure does need to go to the switch as well.
and seeing as you tried to test the cut off it probably ran 4 gauge worth of power threw that 10 gauge circuit!
check for blown maxi fuses or fuse links , then check for more melted wires

Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 AM

yup i had a feeling it was that... ill go get everything checked out today or tomorrow, thnaks for the input

Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 PM

so i got some 10 gage wire and wired it along to the switch then to its old destination. car started up perfectly for 2 days now its back to not starting! now i turn the key nothing happens, but it still beeps and the dash comes on. really wondering what is wrong here, i wanted to bring it in for safety now this happens! let me know if you have any auggestions of what to try next? p.s. i charged the battery, i think it sho0uld work unless its the battery? i bought the battery in febuary so itsw fairly new but its been drained from a short and recharger, drain then charged quite a bit maybe its taken its toll on the battery?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Look at your dash when you start the car. Normally, an orange SECURITY will come on after you turn the key, and then disappear.

If it stays on, the car will not crank and the injectors will be disabled for some time. If the security light is not turning off, you need to look into the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS). I had problems with mine for almost a year, once in a while it just wouldn't start anywhere from five minutes to a day.

If this turns out to be the problem, I can most definitely help you fix it if you don't want to search around the forum, although there is a very helpful overview of the system on thirdgen.org.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM

my car is carbed and im not sure if it has any security things in it. im retty sure i found the problem, when i was checking out the battery cable to the starter i moved the wire to the ignition, and after that is started. must just be a bad connection there, it did it once more, wouldnt start so i moved the wire and it worked again.