camaro wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Default camaro wont start

camaro wont start washed the engine then the next day it ran rough started to backfire then died now it wont start at all pulled the distributer was loose. cleaned it up then i forgot which way it went back in so i put the engine on the compression cycle at 0* tdc reinstalled made sure tht the rotor and the #1 plug wire were lined up and tried to fire it up just kept turning over i pulled the #1 plug and checked for spark had spark. any ideas on wht the problem is

Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash7
camaro wont start washed the engine then the next day it ran rough started to backfire then died now it wont start at all pulled the distributer was loose. cleaned it up then i forgot which way it went back in so i put the engine on the compression cycle at 0* tdc reinstalled made sure tht the rotor and the #1 plug wire were lined up and tried to fire it up just kept turning over i pulled the #1 plug and checked for spark had spark. any ideas on wht the problem is
did you actually remove the distributor itself?

If so, then you already know what's going on

find where the rotor is pointing at tdc of #1 in the compression stroke and wire your plugs from there

Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 PM

yes i did remove the entire distributer. and i did that i triple checked my plug wires made sure the rotor was lined up and i know its on the compresion stroke and i used both the mark on my engine and a screwdriver inside the plug hole to find tdc. i have fuel squirting into the carb and the compression feels good didnt pressure test it though.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 AM
4th Gear Member

you have a mechanical fuel pump, correct?

I doubt you are running lean

it's pointing to ignition. Try the timing one more time just for giggles and don't get caught up on the rotor needing to point to cylinder #1. It just needs to be wired to cylinder #1 when at tdc compression

Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM

i did put 91 octane in it but it seemed to run fine on it ive used 1/4 tank before it died.

so i redid the timing still nothing i even put it on the exhaust stroke for giggles and tried it my plugs are a lil black but look normal to me

Last edited by oilfieldtrash7; 04-16-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

camaro wont start washed the engine then the next day it ran rough started to backfire then died now it wont start at all
This, I take it, is how it was (dead) before you pulled the distributor?
Even though you "have spark", it might not be a hot flame, enough to run the engine. First I'd check all your electrical connections pertaining to your ignition, they may have rusted from the water leaving you with a poor connection. Make sure the distributor cap didn't get carbon tracked. Water is a conductor, and running the engine with things wet can cause problems or cause electronic components to toast. Your ignition module inside the distributor is another suspect.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think you need a new engine lol jk

Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM

got it running pretty good couldnt get the timing set (i have an old grouchy neighbor tht called the cops on me) my carburater is whineing now wht does tht mean

Last edited by oilfieldtrash7; 04-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
4th Gear Member

got it running pretty good couldnt get the timing set (i have an old grouchy neighbor tht called the cops on me) my carburater is whineing now wht does tht mean
what did you do to get it running?

please elaborate on whining

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 PM

my timing was to retard just kept messing with the distiributer till it started firing. and the carb it sounds kinda like a belt but seems to only do it when the car is idleing and it is deffinately coming from the carb

Quick Reply: camaro wont start