Looking for Some Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Default Looking for Some Ideas

Hey guys, how ya doing?

I'm 17 years old and my father just started turning me into a gearhead. I don't have any real plans to become an automotive tech later in life or anything, but I'm just curious if you guys have any ideas for the new 85 Camaro I picked up at Stafford Springs today.

Before I picked this up, I had a 91 Black RS Camaro with quite a bit of front passenger, hood, front bumper, and lower valance damage. The headlight was smashed, and the car needed a paint job in the worst way. But it had a 305 (limiter at 100mph), and I had bought new rims and tires for it, all a good deal. The engine has about (I'm guessing) 85k miles on it. I put new brakes on, a new alternator, a new stereo deck (like all teenagers) have kept the oil changed frequently, tune-ups, etc. etc. etc. The underbody of the car is in crappy shape. Tow arms are torn out, floors are fairly rotted through, holes everywhere, the whole nine yards. The interior is decent, a few tears, and it's just regular linen or whatever. Black, nothing special.

It just so happens I picked up a blue 85 for $550 (totally worth it, exterior is mint, paint is nice, 74k miles) and I'm totally stoked to work on it. The only problems with the car is that it has a V6 (better on gas for this age, maybe a better winter engine) and her interior is ratty as hell. It's red leather, the car was repainted. It needs some work, but it can be road worthy in a week if I work on it between school and my job.

I'm just curious as to what I should do. I'd like to swap out the engines, but winter is coming up. I'd also like the black interior from my car, it's in better condition. But anyone have ideas for what I should do to the 305 (keep in mind my old man has a 350 big block in his garage that he's stringing over my damn head) or anything that might make me enjoy the car more than I already do? Body work, paintjobs, gas lines, stuff like that need to be redone, but I have a lot of the extra parts from the 91 to get what I need finished.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just all steamed up and I can't wait to get digging into both cars. Thanks a ton.