Just got my camaro.. won't start sometimes (problems already)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Cool oki-doki

@Camaro 69 - figured the ad for those push rods was a joke, thought i would run it by you guys here.

also I have heard that stamped rockers aren't the greatest but for now that's in my price range. and the cheapest roller tips i could find with "decent" quality. also I found another camaro with an "excellent" condition black and gray two tone interior (all original) that i am gonna pick up for $300 cause the V6 under the hood is flatline from a pretty bad crack on the block. all the body panels (black) are in great shape too. can't pass up the deal. but what I am getting at is what do you guys think about doing an entire interior transfer? is that a pretty staight forward deal just pop my crap out and pop his crap in? then i was gonna junk the car for scrap metal and make some of my money back.

Last edited by Sanman; 01-14-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: blah
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM

okay update!!

i may have made a bad assumption at first about the noise/knock in the engine of my 90 rs. it has a pretty loud squeak which i am thinking could mean its bearings associated with the serpentine belt. also my interior over head light and headlights are flickering in time with the squeak, and my alternator is pretty f'ing rusty. the sound seems to be coming from the left side of the engine though and the alternator is the upper right hand side most part attached to the serpentine belt. maybe it is the air ac pump? power steering IDFK!! any ideas? thanks again guys so far this has [proven to be a pretty helpful board and i appreciate all you guys are chimin' in with!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 PM
March 2008 ROTM

try the screwdriver as a stethoscope trick. gets you a good idea at least of where the sound is comming from

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 350rs
try the screwdriver as a stethoscope trick. gets you a good idea at least of where the sound is comming from
Haha, what? like put a screwdriver to my ear and start the car touching the end to all the parts? sounds like a quick way to lose an ear drum... never heard of that before.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, you put the handle end to your ear, not the tip! Just rest the handle against your ear, then put the tip against each part you want to listen to. That will amplify the sound and you can pinpoint the area it's derived from.
Did you pull thw ires off that clutch switch yet, and use a paper clip to jumper the wires? If it starts with the wires jumpered, then your switch is bad, and you can then replace, or permanently jumper it. If the switch isn't bad, you may just have a bad solenoid on the starter.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The screwdriver transfers sounds and vibrations. I like to use a section of heater hose to isolate a noise. It sounds like it may be your alternator going out on you. Isn't your alternator on the drivers (left) side of the engine? Mine was.
And with the interior, it's not a quick pop out pop in deal. But it will all work from one car to the other.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 PM

okay well i went through my tools and found a mechanics stethoscope and check everything out there is definitely a loud knock coming from the passenger side valve cover if i want to be cheap could i just replace one rod and rocker of similar type to hold over until payday (a whole whopping $5 THAT, i can afford for a rod and rocker right now). Also the alternator is whining pretty loud, and being that the car just died on me in the driveway (ahem my bad with the clutch - stalled it) i couldn't get it to fire up again and had to bump start it again.

@ 1971BB427 - I haven't gotten around to doing the jumper trick with the security i will have to do it tomorrow after work i guess i gotta leave for work soon so don't have the time and have been away from home most the day.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

There's nothing wrong with changing one pushrod, or one rocker arm, even in a long term fix. With Chevy using adjustable rocker arms it's not important that all the rocker arms or pushrods be replaced at the same time.
My real concern is whether either of them is bad. It could be a collapsed lifter, and that means you wont fix it right with either pushrod or rocker.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Exclamation Money!

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
There's nothing wrong with changing one pushrod, or one rocker arm, even in a long term fix. With Chevy using adjustable rocker arms it's not important that all the rocker arms or pushrods be replaced at the same time.
My real concern is whether either of them is bad. It could be a collapsed lifter, and that means you wont fix it right with either pushrod or rocker.
I see... well then my only real concern is doing the work itself. I don't have alot of experience in the engine itself in fact I pretty much have ZERO experience in the engine itself. Meaning this is the first time I will have ever popped the valve cover off in my life, alone. I do have the 3rd Gen repair guide from Haynes, but I am not sure how much help it is going to be. Also I talked to a shop and they want (est.) $1,100 to the valve train work and another (est.) $350 to replace the starter and ignition. *sigh* this is gonna be expensive if i go that route plus I can get the parts myself and do the work for around $200. Is there anyone on these boards nearby with some experience in this? I can pay or whatever but I would prefer to "learn" while doing then pay and get raped by some shop. I was also thingking about the lifters I have heard that from a few others as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im thinkin the first thing u need is a alternator.

Quick Reply: Just got my camaro.. won't start sometimes (problems already)