Just got my camaro.. won't start sometimes (problems already)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Default Just got my camaro.. won't start sometimes (problems already)

I just bought my '90 Camaro RS and it's already given me S**t... It wouldn't start for no apparent reason earlier today after a pleasure cruise and a stop. the starter wouldn't even click. I check ed the battery cables and fuses all good and tight and no fuses blown. any idea what may be causing this? The car bump started just fine first try and all dash lights and electronics work fine just wouldn't turn over... I am thinking it may be the stupid security ignition passkey thing but I am not sure, if that is what it is is there a way to swap the ignition and bypass the security? thanks for any ideas and input guys! if you need info btw just ask.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so it push started? if so then its not the vats. take the battery cables off the battery and wire brush the battery terminals and the cable ends and put em back on.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Default Hmmm...

I did check the cables for any looseness but I did not notice any oxidation. I will give this a try and see what happens it is kind of a hard thing to test though as it rarely has the non-start issue it's not something I can repeat to test out the cables. After bump/push starting it it hasn't had the issue since and fires up like a brand new car.

I guess I will just have to keep a wire brush in the car and next time it won't start try cleaning the terminals and see it it starts.

Last edited by Sanman; 01-13-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added some stuff... uh the last bit lol
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Check your safety switch and wiring. It's under the dash, part of the clutch pedal assembly.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Default Roger!

Will do Camaro 69. The sun is rising now so i can go and take a look after i put on my 3 sweaters and wet weather boots haha, it's colder than a witch's titty out there.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear member

i had a similar problem with mine, turns out the side-to-top terminal converter things i had on the battery cables were destroyed bc the threads were lead and got all mushy, once i changed them to actual top terminal cables it worked fine.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
March 2008 ROTM

thats a fairly commin thing. turned out to be my clutch safety switch. After three duds i just "rigged" it. dont have to push clutch in anymore.. haha

Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Unhappy Okay, verdict?

Okay I checked the battery cable and terminals and they are all fine. I don't really know what I am looking for on the clutch side of things? most of the **** under the dash is hanging and exposed so its kinda a wiry mess down there. pics in a few...

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
March 2008 ROTM

get under and grab your clutch pedal. push it in as if your leg is disengaging the clutch. Youll see it press against a fairly large black button, mine was plastic. thats whats probably causing your problem.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Quick Reply: Just got my camaro.. won't start sometimes (problems already)