I need a Miracle!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: I need a Miracle!

I might have missed something but why is everyone so focused on the fuel injection system? Sure I would check the fuel pressure firstbut if that was ok and I did not have a lean code fuel injection would drop way down on my list of what could cause the off idle issue.

Next test I would do is to test the strenght of the spark. You can fire a engine at idle with resistor wires and plugs with about 11K volts. Under load/increase RPMsthat requirment jumps to about 20K depending on your wire condition. If your coil is failing at 13Kor the voltage is going someplace else it would cause the same condition.

Have you checked your timing? Could the chain jumped? I have seen one tooth off timing chains that people have tried to "reset the timing" be able to get the car running and idle just with no power.

Failed MAF sensor. 95% of the time they set a code but I haveseen few times they can cause an issue like this and no code. We used to do a tap test. Lightly tap the side of the MAF sensor with the handle of a screwdriver and see if the engine changes RPMs. If it does, replace it.

Last but the biggestpain is the ECM failure. Back in the late 80's this would have been one of the more common fixs for a car that showed up with this issue.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:48 PM

SORRY IF I BELITTLED ANYONE I MENT NO DISRESPECT! actually i have been trying to chase down a multi meter all dAY so i can check the injectors but the only person i know with one dont have time so i will have to find another way to check them. Also i thought that 89 was the last year for MAF sensors on these cars i thought they were speed density sensors? i will check the coil though...if indeed it is a SDS is there a handy little trick like the one "Gorn"described to check it?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 PM

not the coil still not running i will be testing ignition control module, and injectors. then if none of those are the culpret i will be checking the cat converters.....

Old 05-10-2008, 04:40 PM

I has a similar problem as what you are describing on an old Duster once. I chased my tail for a while before on older mech friend of mine walked over and unplugged the hose to the EGR valve. As it turned out, the EGR valve had gone bad. It may have nothing to do with your problem but it only takes a second to check.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

drive it without the gas cap, my car was doing the SAME EXACT THING and i got the pump replaced and it started to do the same thing. It can be that you broke some vac. lines and the pressure is too great in the tank, so try driving it without the cap for a couple days.