How to tell NOS IROC-Z decals from REPOS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Default How to tell NOS IROC-Z decals from REPOS?

Is there a way to tell the Repos from Nos? Its the Gold decals on the doors from a 1987 IROC? I thought GM had "GM" on the backing paper? I know they come in a GM box but do the decals themselves have any. I bought a set and they look NOS but there is not a mark on them anywhere? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails How to tell NOS IROC-Z decals from REPOS?-roc-001.jpg  

Last edited by kelsroc; 01-05-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I didn't know you could even get NOS decals, or even if you could that the adhesive would still stick?
NOS means "New Old Stock", which are original parts from when the car was built, and are NOS parts for one of two reasons:
1) As the car was being assembled, a part may not have passed quality control, so it was set aside and warehoused.
2) The remaining "leftover" parts after car production ended also went into NOS stock.
Either way, that would mean if your decals were NOS, they would be 23 years old. Do yours look like they've been shelved for 23 years? Where did you get them from, a GM parts dealer?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Camaro 69, I have to kind of disagree with your explanation of NOS. New old stock is simply parts that are original GM service parts which are now discontinued. These may be items that were sitting in a dealers inventory or sometimes vendors by bulk lots of discontiued parts directly from GM then sell them as NOS. You are right, they maybe 23 years old or they maybe the last ones that were run as service replacement parts which would only make them as old as the last time they produced that part. When did they discontinue making the decals? They maybe fairly new but I would think at least ten years old. Sometimes parts box's have ship dates on them, this might at least be in the ball park of the production date.

As for the backing saying "GM", I'm not sure. I know all Ford NOS mustang stripes that I have seen say "3M' as this is who produced the stripes for Ford. Only the box they came in identified them as a Ford part.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by skidoodave
Camaro 69, I have to kind of disagree with your explanation of NOS. New old stock is simply parts that are original GM service parts which are now discontinued. These may be items that were sitting in a dealers inventory or sometimes vendors by bulk lots of discontiued parts directly from GM then sell them as NOS.
Those original stocks of service parts came from production build "leftovers", initially. The car manufacturer has to make replacement parts available for a certain number of years, somewhere between 7~10 years, can't remember which. So if there is an item that's low in stock but needed, it needs to be produced. If they had a ton of a certain original part left and keep a good supply, then they obviously don't have to produce any more than was part of the the original production run.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Those original stocks of service parts came from production build "leftovers", initially. The car manufacturer has to make replacement parts available for a certain number of years, somewhere between 7~10 years, can't remember which. So if there is an item that's low in stock but needed, it needs to be produced. If they had a ton of a certain original part left and keep a good supply, then they obviously don't have to produce any more than was part of the the original production run.
Agreed, but it depends on how popular those decals were or how much demand there was for them due to collision damage or what have you. If they didn't produce enough in the first round to keep up with demand then they would run another batch. That means the decals in question maybe original run (23 years old) or....? who knows. If they did subsequent runs to keep stock before they were discontinued they could be newer.

Anyway you look at it they're old and some of the new repro stuff is just as good unless your building a 10 point concur's restoration. Soooo.. does it realy matter.

Good discussion...thanks....

Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well, with all this talk about 'original'......is that an original engine for an 87? That intake seems pretty exotic. If that engine isnt stock, whats the point??

Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ScottD
Well, with all this talk about 'original'......is that an original engine for an 87? That intake seems pretty exotic. If that engine isnt stock, whats the point??

Looks like a stock TPI set up to me....

As a matter of fact, the whole car looks stock and looks to be in very good condition.

Last edited by skidoodave; 01-06-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Yea the car is totaly stock? 350 Tuned Port Injection with only 42000Km...Anyway do the repo decals have the clear decal part in between the gold?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Again, where did you get them from? If from a restoration supply place, were they advertised as NOS? Are you trying to determine whether or not yours are NOS, or just if the ones you have are "correct"?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I believe each induvidual letter is a seperate (all on the same backer sheet) with no clear decal in between them.

Quick Reply: How to tell NOS IROC-Z decals from REPOS?