Help planning a low buck project

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Default Help planning a low buck project

Hey, First post here. I’m looking for some input about a project I’ll be starting next year.
I’m planning on a late 3rd gen, because I want light and cheap at the same time. I want a fun car to do autocross and bracket racing with, and I don’t want to spend over 10k on the car. I’m not planning on huge power or a show car. I haven’t built a car myself yet, so this’ll be my first project. But I do want to do the work myself. So far I’m planning on;
A 89-92 camaro/firebird with a 350, manny trans, t-tops, AC. I plan on ditching the rear seat and carpet. I’ll keep the stock block, but dress it up with headers, exhaust, intake, and cam. I plan on building my own shock tower brace and subframe connectors. I do not want to go the turbo/supercharged route, even if it’s cheap power. The rest of my budget is for a posi with mild rear gears and tires. I don ‘t think it’s unrealistic to figure on 2,500 fo a driver to start the project with. So 7,500 for the rest. I will have a garage to work with. The tools I have are limited to basic hand tools for the time being, but I don’t mind stocking a garage if need be. I can never have too many toys. So tools won’t be part of the 10k budget. I do want to do all the work myself. I would like to have this project “done” in a year from when I start. Also, I’ll have other transport while I’m building this, so I can have it in the garage full time if need be. So the questions I have for ya’ll are;
-Is my budget on track? Do I need to cut back on parts to make it work? Or do I have extra cash for some more goodies? If so where should that money go? Heads?
-Should/could I be considering an engine swap? Is that in my budget? I’ve put thought to a chevy 292 or GMC 302. Either of those could give me enough power if build right, and might get me better fuel economy.
-What else can I do for handling? Should I look at upgrading brakes? Springs/shocks?
-Is a cage worthwhile? I don’t mind putting in the work to build one myself, But am I going to realy need one/see and benefits in handling for having one?
-What kind of emitions laws will I have to worry about working on this car? Im in NC right not but I will be moving to texas before starting this project. Texas has emitions testing but I’m not sure if there’s grandady laws or whatnot.
-What kind of tools do I need to do this. I plan on getting a TIG/MIG welder and building an engine lift/stand, and jackstands. Air compressor/tools?
Thanks for reading

Old 12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

10k might not do it. There was an excellent thread about someone doing something similar with the cage, etc. They were limited by class rules on motor, so that maybe something worth looking into.

Tools:

For sure all hand tools you can think of, compressor that has enough capacity is good, but I never used mine all that much other than an impact to remove some hardware. A good torque wrench, mig welder, a good bench, and good jacks should get you most of the way home. It is easy go through money on the motor, trans, clutch, but I was a little suprised on the brakes, trans and rear, they were a lot more than I thought. Even wiring, belts, fluids start to add up quickly. Check that thread out if you can find it.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear member

Autocross AND Bracket Racing?? FORGET the T-Tops and gas mileage and AC. Put a cage in it for autocross along with better brakes,shocks,springs and frame conectors.
Buy a prebuilt longblock from reputable builder.
Depends on how much YOU can actually do

Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ncguy
-What kind of emitions laws will I have to worry about working on this car? Im in NC right not but I will be moving to texas before starting this project. Texas has emitions testing but I’m not sure if there’s grandady laws or whatnot.
Texas only has emissions testing in certain counties. The majority of Texas does not have emissions testing