HElp my poor IROC-z please

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Default HElp my poor IROC-z please

HI my name is jon,

i have an 1989 IROC with a 5.7 tpi, its been sitting for a while and i just started driving it, it drove fine for a while but i brought to get inspected and it failed HC by alot, now it runs very crappy it has no power at all i used to be able to light up th tires but not anymore and it overheats like crazy unless i have both fans on, help me please, thanx

Old 08-23-2006, 01:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: HElp my poor IROC-z please

sup jon, I have the same iroc 89 5.7 and when i bought mine it had been parked for about 5 years and it ran ok after the tune up.(plugs,wires.cap and rotor)if you already did that check the throtlebody and if need be give it a good cleaning with throtle body cleaner.also clean the maf censor.make sure you have the right gap on the plugs,make sure your timming is ok.I had to change pretty much every censor (did i spell that right?) before it ran good.Check for loose connections and vacum leaks.Most likley tor fuel pump will be bad if its origional wich is common for these cars, check your fuel pressure should be about 40psi. I already changed mine.Good luck and keep posted!

Old 10-23-2006, 02:47 AM

JON,
Interesting discussions and educ on Camaro/IROC's-esp those that sat/unused for extended periods. Thank you all, I've spent 10-12hr in this 3rd Gen Forum.
Just aquired 89 IROC, 5.7 with 43K/near mint. Drove it home, ran perfect despite known TP sensor problem(according to second owner). My mechanic loved it, replaced TPS,calibrated it and with in 10 mi ran likecrap(skip,searching, needing high RPM to smooth it out). So went thru everything-plugs/wire/cap/rotor and module. Still ran like garbage then scanned it-needed distr stator coil. Replaced and timing set. Had 3 of the new AC-Plat plugs severely fouled within 10 miles and then pulsing/searching idle but not skipping or hessitation-car actually could rip out of your hands. Re scanned, couple of nussance codes accordingto my mechnaic. Now he is saying we need to clean throttle plate and then probably set TP sensor to 6.8(or maybe it was 6.1). He wants to also replace all the fouled plugs. Kind of a nightmare-as I read stuff here on cars that have sat for long periods. Obviously we will change fuel filter and need to eval fuel pump press.
For such a mint car-what a bunch of aggrevation. Thankfully it sits in garage 99% of time.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Overdrive Member

Sometimes the computers have to relearn. They adapt to failing sensors and when replaced they need a few drive cycles to relearn. Sometimes disconecting the battery for 20 seconds works, it also clears the codes, sometimes it does not work.