Which Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011 | 12:30 PM
|
2nd Gear member
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Neither in my opinion ... But Full length long tubes header is a MUST !!

Check out a quality header for your ride that won't rust/not fit or easy not good enough.
Idk the forum policy about not sponser linking but anything made in USA & is $600+

Old 05-20-2011 | 02:08 PM
|
2nd Gear member

I am not spending $600 for headers on a $1200 car.
I don't care if they rust. I will wrap them.
I do want headers that fit.

Old 05-20-2011 | 02:27 PM
2nd Gear member

I have the Edelbroc shorties with y-pipe on my 92RS and they fit nice. I have the coated ones so no rust yet after 5yrs.

Old 05-20-2011 | 02:35 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by carguy68ssrs
I have the Edelbroc shorties with y-pipe on my 92RS and they fit nice. I have the coated ones so no rust yet after 5yrs.
I was thinking about getting the y-pipe. So, why are people not running true duals or x-pipes on these.
I really want to move that y-pipe to a better location.

Is clearance that much tighter then on a second gen?

Old 05-20-2011 | 03:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

It is very difficult to get long tubes on a 3rd gen. I have hooker shorties, with AIR injection fittings (I have to pass emission equipment test). The problem with long tubes is interferance with the starter, and the ground......

I hade a custom y-pipe made and wrapped, since its so close to the oil pan. There for sure is no replacement for long tubes, but true duals are so tough on 3rd gens.....I'm not sure how much more HP you would get with a long tube, true dual set up over something like mine, but I know it wont bottom out, or heat soak the starter.

Old 05-20-2011 | 05:50 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by djs383
It is very difficult to get long tubes on a 3rd gen. I have hooker shorties, with AIR injection fittings (I have to pass emission equipment test). The problem with long tubes is interferance with the starter, and the ground......
Where did you get the headers with air injection fittings.
If the price is reasonable I may keep the car legal.

Old 05-20-2011 | 05:53 PM
March 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Technical User

true duals are possible, but very expensive, cramped, and heavy. the only way to run true duals and have it exit before the rear wheels is to literally raise the car. i have a 2.5 inch pipe i ovaled and exiting on the right side before the wheel, and it barely clears the ground on a stock ride height car. about 3 inches is how much i have. stick with the y-pipe. i have hedman shorties and y-pipe combo and they didnt fit well at all on my car. they rub the frame, heater line, and had to cut and modify the y-pipe to fit. not exactly bolt on in my book. i will however be spending $1200 for a good set of headers and y-pipe later on. and if you are going to wrap them, remove the factory coating and use the silicone spray for header wrap. otherwise they will be gone in a few years

Old 05-20-2011 | 11:42 PM
2nd Gear member

Problem with 3rd gen is torque arm is in the way on drivers side and the bottom of car is not the same on drivers side as pssenger side. The passenger side has spot for cat and also the frame is even notched for pipes to go by.
I was lazy on an 84 Z28 that I wanted to get rid of an ran 3inch pipe straight back from manifolds and dumped right in front of rear axle with flow masters.

Old 05-21-2011 | 08:03 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Can the normally headers be drilled and have a fitting welded in for air injection? I don't see why I couldn't do it myself.

Quick Reply: Which Headers?