going to the shop tomorrow want to make sure i dont get ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default going to the shop tomorrow want to make sure i dont get ripped off

going to the shop tomorrow, to have my tv cable replace, and what i need to know is about how long it takes to remove the old one and install the new one 90 3,1 v6

Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

about half hour to remove the old one from the linkage and the trans....taking notes about how the linkage is adjusted. I would say no more than an hour. If you have jackstands it is an easy change out. There is a lot of info on the web about how to adjust them correctly. I'm not sure that is worthy of taking it to the shop...if you know what a TV cable is and that it needs replacing, I'd do it myself.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im replacing it because i snapped the green piece trying to get it right so i would have WOT shifts witch no matter how many time i adjusted it i never had it. so might as well leave it to the professionals

Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

You are about to spend 200 dollars on a 25 dollar part....learn to do it yourself man!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure what green piece you are talking about. I wasn't aware of much variance between models/years and cable designs. Can you put a pic of it up?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

the green plastic piece that connected to the the throttle at the end of the tv cable.

but im taking it to a shop for two reasons one im not risking my work on something like the tranny

and if i messed up the trans by driving it with the tv all messed up i can try and blame them

Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ScottD
You are about to spend 200 dollars on a 25 dollar part....learn to do it yourself man!
what do you mean 200? i bought the part and it was $35 but everything i read it said 25 at the dealer but dealers dont sell them since there discontinued

Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

He meant the price of the part plus labor.... I've seen all kinds of TV cable setups on carbs (holley, edelbrock, Qjets), TBI, TPI, and I've never seen green. I've always just seen the adjuster being black and "D" shaped with the hook end being plastic that slides over the "button" on the linkage. If you have stock linkage, you adjust to the WOT position, meaning the TV cable is fully extended when the linkage is fully extended, providing the accelerator pedal is fully extending the linkage, that is the extent of adjusting that cable. There is geometry issues, but that is only if you did a motor swap and have different linkage. For example I use an edelbrock carb and had to get the corrector bracket to maintain my geometry.. I'm not sure what you meant that you had no WOT shifts though.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4g63t
what do you mean 200? i bought the part and it was $35 but everything i read it said 25 at the dealer but dealers dont sell them since there discontinued
The dealer will charge you at LEAST 1 hour labor, tax, shop supplies, disposal fees, environmental fees, state fees, fee fees.......any trip to a dealer usually results in about a 200 dollar bill.....nothing against dealerships, but they dont make any money on the nickle and dime jobs...

Old 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ScottD
The dealer will charge you at LEAST 1 hour labor, tax, shop supplies, disposal fees, environmental fees, state fees, fee fees.......any trip to a dealer usually results in about a 200 dollar bill.....nothing against dealerships, but they dont make any money on the nickle and dime jobs...
i didnt bring it to a dealer to do anything the only thing i called the dealer about was to get the part witch they couldnt even do that

Quick Reply: going to the shop tomorrow want to make sure i dont get ripped off