Friends Mopar catches on fire.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Friends Mopar catches on fire.

My 20-sumthin neighbor has a 70-ish Dart as his daily driver. Car is in real nice shape, and this kid just isnt a motorhead. Its just a car to him. A nice, old car. Last night I see him jump starting it, I walk over, it fires up and I go home. 30 minutes later he yells out the window to me and tells me he just put out a fire under the hood!

Under cover of a flashlight I go poking under his hood and found two burned up and crusty wires sitting on top of one another.On the firewall, pass side,just above valve cover. One was HOT, the other a ground. I told him it was a simple fix. Wires probably got old and insulation broke down and had a short.

Today he bummed a ride to work and I snuck over to his house and fixed the wiring. Should make the kid happy to know his neighbors like him. Besides, it was nice to be working on an old 318 again....

Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Friends Mopar catches on fire.

[8D]

Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Fancy Sparkle
Default RE: Friends Mopar catches on fire.

ORIGINAL: ScottD

My 20-sumthin neighbor has a 70-ish Dart as his daily driver. Car is in real nice shape, and this kid just isnt a motorhead. Its just a car to him. A nice, old car. Last night I see him jump starting it, I walk over, it fires up and I go home. 30 minutes later he yells out the window to me and tells me he just put out a fire under the hood!

Under cover of a flashlight I go poking under his hood and found two burned up and crusty wires sitting on top of one another.On the firewall, pass side,just above valve cover. One was HOT, the other a ground. I told him it was a simple fix. Wires probably got old and insulation broke down and had a short.

Today he bummed a ride to work and I snuck over to his house and fixed the wiring. Should make the kid happy to know his neighbors like him. Besides, it was nice to be working on an old 318 again....
my friend Jack has an old '66 Dart wagon, slant six. well his had the same problem, but his arm was torched. 3rd degree burns over his entire right arm. had to have skin grafts (and lots of them)