electrical system

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default electrical system

ok, today before work i go out to start my car, the solenoid is just clickin away. so i jump the car, cant seem to thing what killed my battery. my dome light doesnt work and it was switched off. i get the car jumped and it takes me to work all fine, when i get off tho, same deal, solenoid just clickin. i jump it again, and it takes me home, but about halfway home my engine starts acting funny and all the lights inside the car on the dash get real dim, and my headlights get real dim. so im thinking that my alternator is going bad. what do you all think. im gonna have it tested tomorrow. and if necessary ill buy a new one.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: electrical system

before you get it checked out, start the car, unplug the battery. If the engine bogs down its probably your alternator.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

my car is computer controlled, it could seriously damge my car and anyone elses car by doing that. you should never unplug the batter while the car is running. although people do it all the time. and im sure its been done before on this car. but i wont be doing it.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

before you go buy a new alternator, have your battery tested, a bad battery can not only not hold a charge sometimes they can even drain the charge from the rest.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

had the battery tested and charged at autozone the other day, good battery.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

then you should test the alternator. thats most likey what it is, otherwise your lookin for a bad cable somewhere

Old 04-24-2007, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

sry for not updating sooner. it was the alternator, i didnt even have it tested. i just changed it, it couldnt have been anything else. took me 45 mins, i took my time and and a few breaks lol. but i went and picked it up, and took the core back 45 mins later, the lady that i gave the core to asked me, she said, " you do your own work?" i said yea, its cheaper and more fun. she asked if i did work on the side, i definately said no. people ask me all the time if i do work on the side. and if i say yea, they alway pin some problem on me that stumps the hell out of me. im afraid one day someone is gonna ask me to help them and i get stuck with some foreign car lol. with their rude side sitting engines, all backwards and upside down, ill get under the hood and start scratchin my head. lol. the only foreign engine i worked on was a turbine engine. pushing 800+ hp lol. yea it was a small turbine, smaller than my sbc if i take the intake and exhaust off lol. people think they are all huge, they arent. ill stop running off at the mouth now.