Dual snorkel vs. Open air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Default Dual snorkel vs. Open air cleaner

Hi everyone, I've researched all over this forum and several other sites looking to see which way I should lean. I have an '85 Berlinetta edition with the stock 305 carb'd and am slowly starting to do upgrades. Obviously, first would be getting the car to breathe, so, I'm trying to figure out which would be better in the long run.....converting to the HO dual snorkel or just putting an open air cleaner on it?
Eventually, will be doing more upgrades to the 305 so most likely will be posting here alot. I know that there is "no replacement for displacement" but, the shows I go to are quite restrictive and much more lucrative if I keep the original stock 305, or at least stock appearing. They even go so far as to check engine coding based on the VIN so, upgrading to a 350 is out of the question atm.
Thanks in advance for the help and look forward to speaking with everyone more often!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the dual snorkel is rather hard to find from what i have heard. an open element air cleaner just sucks in hot air. i would leave it as it is until you start adding more power and need more air flow

Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM

Ok, so eventually however, I will need to go with one or the other, obviously the dual snorkel would be better for the colder air then? Especially if I can modify the air intakes in some way to avoid engine heated air being taken in.
At what stage would be recommended for the better air flow? So far everything I have read based on builds doesn't really state a specified point.
Guess I'll be doing the headers and exhaust upgrade then until I get to the bigger point of needing better air flow.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you can't find a dual snorkel air cleaner, I'd look into making my own by scavenging an air cleaner and intake duct from another 3rd gen. If you don't have welding skills, or a welder, you could cut part of the second base apart leaving a flange (part of the air cleaner base) on the snorkel. Then cut an opening in the base you currently have and rivet the second snorkel on. And definitely remove those restricting heat flapper valves, and cover up the heat riser tube holes. Now, if you drive the car in the winter, you'll experience the engine heating up slower without the heat risers. But if it's a nice weather only car, you don't need/want it.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
4th Gear Member

The only effort you have to do is flip the lid over on the existing cleaner.
The snorkel design, the ones with a smaller inlet than the connection to the filter housing, is for setting up moisture from the incoming air - acts like a venturi - into a mist so the filter can do a better job of filtering out the mist rather than droplets.

The heat stove design heats up the incoming air so the carb does not ice up. As fuel goes throught a venturi, a drop of temperature takes place due to pressure differential. Not so much prevalent any more as anti-icing additive is added to the fuel recipe.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
4th Gear Member

2 Minute Tech

Remembered I saw a custom dual snorkel set up on Muscle Car a while back. I think it'll help some.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 PM

I have managed to find a dual snorkel, have some friends in auto parts industry. pretty cheap sell too! But, to be technical, I still haven't gotten the original answer I was looking for unless I answered it myself, Dual or open air better? I just want to be 100% sure before I jump on the deal I recieved. And, yes Camaro 69, she's a nice weather only car. I park her as soon as car show season is over, in my garage, and don't pull her back out until show season starts. Which if anyone is in the PA area, NE Rod and Custom show is coming up. PM me if you desire details.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
4th Gear Member

Both designs have their pros & cons.
The bigger the air filter, as in diameter and height, the slower the air goes through the filter media, the better the filtering.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And bringing in outside air as opposed to sucking in under-hood air is better.
With that said though, I changed my old 91 RS (TBI) over to an aftermarket open filament filter, but left the duct in place to still let it flow fresh air in while cruising. Can't say I noticed a difference one way or another, but the engine looked a lot nicer and less cluttered.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

spectre makes a dual inlet air cleaner that is similar to an oem one http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SPT98648.htm as well as one that is like a cold air intake