De-smog

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Default De-smog

I'm wanting to get rid of the smog stuff on my 84 berlinetta (305 700r4). I know I need a different distributor and carb and I'm taking out the computer, but will this screw up the dash? does it run off of the computer since it's digital? (I'm somewhat of a novice)

questions 2-I won a Edelbrock Performer EPS intake at a local car show, what Carb should get to go with it? I dunno whether to go holley or Edelbrock...

help is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance guys

Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just an opinion, but I think you are creating a pretty big and unnecessary project. You won't experience any power gains from removing the emissions equipment. None more than a freshly rebuilt motor. The emission system isn't hampering that 305's performance, its the heads and low compression that is. If you move somewhere emissions are tested, you will be F'd or if one day you sell it you won't get jack for it.

But if you proceed and it is already a carb'd motor you'll need a new carb that isn't computer controlled. Edelbrock would be a lot easier to get dialed in than Holley. As long as your manifold you won is the right one, you're set there. You'll need some way to allow your torque converter clutch to lock. There a few aftermarket companies that sell small harnesses that plug into the 4-pin connector on the trans to allow it to lock without your ECM. Also, I'm not sure on that model year, but the AIR pump is configured in such a way that removing it will also remove an alternator support. You may have to fab up something for that.