colum issue *update* fixed colum but gauges dont work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: colum issue an some other questions

yeah i now have an unknown battery issue...the bat is fine if it sits for days but if you run it an try to start it back up like an hour later its dead till i get a jump an its good to go ive came out to a dead car only 2 times an both were within 2 hours of previous driving.... odly enough when i run it an then park it over night right after the dead bat prob the battery will be just fine and fire right up the next day

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Have you tested the alternator? I have had my battery go dead before from playing the stereo and after letting it sit for a while rejuvinate itself enough to start the car. AC Delco batteries have been good to me that way. Or possiby your starter gets hot and won't crank the engine well enough.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member

well it always cranks slow.

and the alt is a rebuild with the 1 wire conversion and the + fromt the alt is ran direct to the + on the bat

odd thing is its been doing it more lately that when i go to the store i dont shut it off anymore
but when it does do it i can usually jump the solenoid and it will turn over slow like usual an fire

i think ill be going out to buy an optima red top bat soon

Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Next time it does it, have a load tester handy, the only right way to determine if it is the battery or starter. Could even be loose connections somewhere.

I doubt its a big issue, but was the alternator wire ran to the battery orginally? I know generally it will run to the distribution block on the firewall.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Next time it does it, have a load tester handy, the only right way to determine if it is the battery or starter. Could even be loose connections somewhere.

I doubt its a big issue, but was the alternator wire ran to the battery orginally? I know generally it will run to the distribution block on the firewall.
i think p/o had it ran to the + on the starter originally

Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Overdrive Member

At times there would be a junction block with one of the wires going to the starter. 89 might have it by the battery. Or might had been there.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah the core i put into my camaro had a block it was damaged though but my wiring has been riged to bypass. p/o took a huge wire nut -_- an twisted a ton of heavy gauge wires together an screwed on the wire nut. i am going to autozone today to get a block and run all the wires through it as the wire nut look is ugly as all hell with its bright orangyness and tons of black electrical tape...
some peoples kids.... shouldnt every father teach their sons to work on cars?![sm=rant.gif]

well mine didnt...i learned on my own starting with lawnmowers when i was 5 and quickly progressed

Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Overdrive Member

I have a friend and his daddy learned him to use wire nuts real good!
The funny thing was he is left handed and could not for the life of him twist the wires clockwise. He had to get me to do it for him so he could put the wire nut on. [8D]

Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Mike, I never pegged you as a nut-twister. Go figure!!![8D]

Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Overdrive Member

I did not twist the nuts....Just the wire.

Quick Reply: colum issue *update* fixed colum but gauges dont work!!!