colum issue *update* fixed colum but gauges dont work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default colum issue *update* fixed colum but gauges dont work!!!

ok its a 89 rs 305 now my colum moves side to side , up an down from the tilt point on up to the wheel wtf is wrong it dont seem safe to me and how can i fix it.

my other questions are

will unhooking stock temp sending unit cause the car to run different...ever since ive changed to an aftermarket the car always has that rich smell an is sluggish plus it idles at 2k rpms

whats the best setting for the timing on the stock 305 ?

thanks

Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: colum issue an some other questions

The loose column is most likely the bolts lossening inside on the rear portion of the tilt. Have to take it all apart and tighten the screws. There are four male torx.

If you removed the stock sender for the gauge it would have no effect on how it runs. If you removed the sensor for the computer that would. The gauge sender is in the head while the computers sensor is in the intake.

Timing should be set around 6, maybe 8 if you want a little more advance. Its a good round number.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member

intake sensor was removed for aftermarket gauge by p/o.....will swap aftermarket sensor to head if i can find it.... when the intake sensor was removed the gauge stopped working though

*edit* almost forgot how do i get to the torx screws and where are they at? do i have to remove the steering wheel an so on as done in this thread https://camaroforums.com/m_246967/tm.htm ?

the colum just scares the hell out of me how it moves soo much and i want to fix this asap

Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

anyone know where the torx screws are located so i know if i need any specialty tools to take the colum apart? i need to know asap as today will be the only day i can work on the car for a long time. as i am going to go have knee surgery tomorrow and i will not be able to get around much for a minimum of 6 weeks

Old 10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Overdrive Member

Those screws that come loose are all the way dep inside the column. Basicly the last thing in there before the top of the column is all apart.
So yes you have to remove the steering wheel, all the gits behind it as if you were doing an ignition lock. Then the upper bowl which holds the blinker lever/ wiper switch, pull off the top of the tilt portion.
Specialty tools you will need are a wheel puller, lock plate press, male torx drivers, female torx socket and some kind of puller for the tilt pins. OTC makes one or in a pinch a small slide hammer and the proper fine thread screw in it.

And that link took me to the home page.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ok i fixed the colum yay ......went to start it....had to hold the gas half way to the floor to start.. i thought ok thats odd then i looked to see my rpms an then wtf no gauges are working.. do the gauges have anything to do with the connections i removed an hooked back up on the colum?
this car is driving me to break my 1 month stretch of not smoking im so stressed out.

i need any and all ideas of wtf when wrong.....

Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Well the gauges are going to get their power from when the ingition is turned on. That is the switch all the way at the bottom of the coulmn. Did you disconnect that one for some reason? Other than that I can only seeing you unplug the blinker and wiper switch connectors. They would not affet the gauges. Not to get personal but, did you blow a fuse?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

found out what it was....AND im glad i found it the when i did rather than on the road.

when the car got into the accident the original fan wiring grounded out an melted to some gauge wires and several other wires. it was unknown to me and the fan was just toggled by p/o i guess i bumped an rubed the wires enough to get a connection so when the bat was re connected it burned through and so on. i began to realize the more i juggled wires under the dash the more stuff stopped working till the car died.. blew alot of fuses still working on the repairs

Old 10-30-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ill be happy when all repairs are done..i still need to fix the play in the steering. and then i think im done with the repairs.
lol i believe it is all worth it it has an amazing body with no rust and a great running engine and drive train. just odds and ennds needing repair. i paid only $300 for the car and have put nearly $750 into it so ~$1000 for a decent camaro.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Overdrive Member

Hell yeah for $300 you got to expect to do lots of work or that would just be one hell of a deal. Glad you found the problem. It sounds like a car with a few bugs but once you get to finding them you can exterminate them and have a real good car.

Quick Reply: colum issue *update* fixed colum but gauges dont work!!!