Coil Resistance Reading

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Default Coil Resistance Reading

1986 Camaro 2.8 MFI

I have no spark, I tested the ignition coil with a multitester, on primary resistance. I got a reading 0.0 ohms, the manual states it should be approx 1.0 ohms-(if higher replace the coil).

On the secondary resistance I got a reading of 11,600 ohms, the manual states between 4,000 to 10,000 ohms (if above 40,000) replace the coil.

If primary resistance is below 1.0 ohms (my reading 0.0 ohms) and secondary resistance is just above the range but not anywhere near or above 40,000 ohms does this mean a bad coil??

Can someone clarity to these readings for me. Thanks

Old 06-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Coil Resistance Reading

Those readings are approximations and are subject to change with temperature and test equipment used. IMO you coil checks out OK.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

2.8's are bad about roasting the internal parts of the distributor, check your ignition module and pickup coil. sick

Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the replies...is it possible to replace the pick up coil without removing the distributor?

Old 07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

nope. you have to pull the distributor. knock the pin out of the gear then drive the shaft out the top. really it's no biggy. if there is alot of buildup on the shaft it may be a little stubborn. get a 2x4 or a rubber mallet and whack the mess out of it. you'll have to get a long socket extension or punch to knock it all the way out. if you have a vice it would make the process easier but, it can be done without it. once you have the shaft out all that holds the pickup coil is a retainer clip. you should get a new clip with the new coil. be sure and mark where the rotor is pointing before you pull the distributor to make for easy reinstallation. sick

Old 07-04-2006, 03:32 PM

Got the cap off...where exactly is the pin to knock-out, inorder to pull out the distributor.
My repair manual only shows the V8 clamp/screw and I don't see anything like that on this V6.
Sorry for being so lame.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

don't apologize for wanting to learn. you have to unbolt the clamp at the base of the distributor. theres one bolt that holds it to the intake. remove that bolt and the metal clamp. it's a tight squeeze but you can get it. and extension with a swivel joint will be helpful. mark where the rotor is pointing, then pulling up from the base of the distributor wiggle it up and out. watch that you don't lose the distributor gasket. if you don't put it back it will leak oil bad. once you have it out you will see the gear on the end. the gear has a small pin through it that holds it to the shaft. knock the pin out with a small punch or nail. do it carefully because it is a piece of rolled metal ( not solid ). after the pin is out position the distributor housing to where nothing will collide with the top of the shaft while knocking it out. using a 2x4 or a rubber mallet start knocking it through the distributor shaft. it may be stubborn at first but keep at it. then find something small enough and long enough and strong enough to use to knock it all the way through. then all you do is pull of the retainer ring unplug the pickup coil ... remove it ... plug the new one in and put the retainer ring back on. grease the shaft and slide it back in. it should go in alot easier than coming out. putting the ditributor back in and lining it up to the mark where it was pointing can be tricky because the gear turns as it slides back into place. if it isn't right lift it back up some ... turn the rotor back a few inches and work it in again. just keep at it and you'll get it lined back up. sick