charing problem.. need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: charing problem.. need help asap

ok well we replace the alt and the batt at the same time this time and i replace a couple fuseable links with solid wire and so far..(knock on wood) it been running fine. it's holdin pretty stead at 12.2 very's bout 11.8 12.5, so i guess the real test will be when i drive it home tonight with the headlights and the heater on.. if it holds up then i guess we found the problem. (some where). but to all that helped..THANK YOU!!. very very much.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 AM
2nd Gear member

Errr... That's way low for the charging system to be putting out. There's gotta be something not working right on there if you're getting less than 13.5 volts. Is the serpentine belt tight and still within the limit to which it can stretch and be effective?

Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ok so we putthe new batt an alt in there last night and got it runin bout 6ish and it ran fine. i took it home got up this morning and it started right up. drove it around all day an had no problems. then at bout 5ish today i parked it shut it off and just for the hell of it i tryed to start it again it was dead. so i jumped it drove to the shop witch is bout 4-5 miles away an as i pulled in the drive way of the shop it died again. i left it an drove my room mates truck home. we came back bout 4-5 hours later it started right up. drove in the bay shut it off and it was dead again. im so out of ideas and patinace. PLEASE some one help me figure this out! anyone. im to the point where i would like to find a whole NEW wiring harnes. if anyone knows where i could find one that would be nice to.. if you have any ideas that seriously could help please call me 262-770-6290. tonight. thanks.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

bench check ur starter

Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ok so we had a couple guys come out to the shop to night. we traced every stinking wire we could fine and we got nothin. no bad wires. but then by mistake some one left the fan ground off when we started the car to check the alt voltage and gess what..bingo we found our bad link. the whole dame time it wasn't the alt it wasnt the batt it was the stupid fan. the guy that had the car before me bypassed the fan relay and had it run when ever the car was on. so i ran new wires and hooked it all back up and it still was messed up. then my buddie wiggled the wires around right next to the fan and it went away. so tomarrow im going to buy a new fan motor an fan relay. hopefuly this time it's fixed. (for good) lol. thanks to all that help you really open my eyes to the forums on the net. ya'll rock.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:01 AM
March 2008 ROTM

just to let ya know, i had that EXACT same problem, really close readings even, sorry i didnt see this before, ive been busy. The link down by the starter that goes up to the alt was open. Fixed that problem and volts are back up to 12.8ish...

Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

well just for right now i got the fan disconnected and with it bein cold here it's stayin pretty cool. i'm orderin a new fan motor on mon and for the time being im going to run the wires to the dash and have the fan on a toggle switch on the dash. maybe some day ill by a new relay and have it installed. my main goal right now is to get the car to make it threw winter. next some if the cars still doing good im going to pull the 305 and prolly drop in a semi built 350. other wise im going to put the car to rest and drop the motor in to this s-10 shell i got. in the summer i ride a suzuki GSXR so as long as this thing can make it threw the winter im good. but thank you for all you help and ideas.