Car turns only after hotwire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 01:13 AM
Default Car turns only after hotwire.

Greetings everyone,
I'm a newbie one here. I am thankful for such a vast source of info.
Prior to posting this question, I read other posts to see if I could troubleshoot, and although they were helpful to educate myself, my issue I think is more of a cluster F!.
I hope I can be steered on the right path to get my electronics issues fixed...there are a few issue, I think are concentrated in one area (steering column/gauge cluster).
I have a 1988 Iroc Z, 305 TPI, 5 speed manual. So the first issue i have is starting my vehicle with the key. When I turn the key, it won't crank. But, can hear the fuel pump turn on. Therefore, my dad lend me a hand at hotwiring it directly from the starter. So he took one wire, made contact with the starter and the other end directly to the battery, and she started immediately, with the car on neutral and without the need to step on the clutch. I took her for a drive around the block, and when I arrived and parked, she turned off normal by the turning off the key. The ignition key has no chip for the VATS. Also, when I got her, I had no issues for about 5 years, up until now out of nowhere. When I bought my her, she came with a viper alarm, and have no clue if its stock or aftermarket. Before starting her up, I'd have to press the unlock button. After a few times, I stopped using the alarm, left her unlocked so I would be able to start her, and just locked the doors by hand. I was able to start her up with no issues for awhile like this, up until like I mentioned, now.

2nd issue...When I took her for a drive around the block. The left turn signal works fine, but when I turn the right turn signal the tach, oil, battery, fuel, and temp gauges go cuckoo and start moving on their own. The gauge lights won't turn on. Then the hazard turned on their own inside the gauge cluster and outside. Also the aftermarket cd player has no power.

Those darn electric gremlins did a number on my vehicle.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance