Can I get a thermostat housing that doesnt *&$%ing Leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Can I get a thermostat housing that doesnt *&$%ing Leak!!

I woke the Maro up yesterday. Washed her off and waxed her up. Other than the exposed door guts on the passenger side (read last post) she looked like a show car. I took her out and proceeded to beat the snot out of her. Did about 110 a few times (guessing, speedo not workin) and went sideways on most of my turns. Vroom vroom, havin fun. I was doing a brake stand and burned em all the way thru 2nd when I saw this horrendous white cloud coming from my tail. And the sweet smell of coolant.....so now Im driving down the road like Ive blown a head gasket, fearing the worst. I got her home and popped the hood......

The Chrome thermostsat housing (which has always given me leak issues) had sprung a HUGE leak. Looked like two squirt guns spraying the entire inside of my hood down. Ive tried using the stock O'-ring it comes with, no O-ring and sealer, O-ring and sealer, and lastly a 're-useable' gasket (which had the worst failure.) This is the same part available at most big chain auto stores. You guys got any advice on a part that will actually work? (without spending like a million dollars on some billet part....)

Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Can I get a thermostat housing that doesnt *&$%ing Leak!!

NO!! Ive talked to the car gods about you. I told them to give you as much hell as you can take without going postal.

All i have is the stock thermo houseing and a felpro gasket on it and tightened it down real good. Are the two surfaces good and clean?? no left over gasket..

Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear member

take it apart and wire brush the manifold and housing. then apply a small bead of waterproof high temp silicon gasket maker. tighten down really good to where you get scared of stripping the threads. works for me all the time. if you put enough gasket maker on some will come out of the housing on the side thats a good sign. let it sit with out running it for 24 hours and start it up to check for leaks. if it does leak then something is wrong. check how much psi you coolant is when hot. it could be too much for some odd reason.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

350RS.............I also spoke to the car gawds. They told me that in your next life you will be reborn as a ricer. Honda civic, fart can muffler and lots of stickers. And all the ghetto music you can tolerate on a Pepboys woofer system and some 6x9's taken out of a Plymouth in a junkyard. [:-]

Oh, yeah both surfaces are clean. Manifold has less than one season on it.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I got the good kind of neck (with the thick mounting flange and o-ring) from Autozone and have no leak issues with it. Don't know which you are using, but the chrome ones that have a thin mounting flange ALWAYS warp upin the middle (down on the ends) and leak.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: ScottD

350RS.............I also spoke to the car gawds. They told me that in your next life you will be reborn as a ricer. Honda civic, fart can muffler and lots of stickers. And all the ghetto music you can tolerate on a Pepboys woofer system and some 6x9's taken out of a Plymouth in a junkyard. [:-]

Oh, yeah both surfaces are clean. Manifold has less than one season on it.
thats ok, i wont last long because ill be blown off the road by a superior car!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Droid

Just weld the silly thing on.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

I figured he was just a spammer, adding to a post that was almost 5 months old.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

He sure looks and "talks" like a spammer. Pete took the bait too, heh heh!
So, did you ever fix your leaky neck (the one on the engine)?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

wow, i just realized 350rs hasnt been around all year. i thought our senior membership was dwindling

Quick Reply: Can I get a thermostat housing that doesnt *&$%ing Leak!!