blew the intake manifold seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default blew the intake manifold seals

I blew my intake manifold seals a couple of days ago when it over heated. I had to get it towed because didnt want to run it longer and keep ruining what it hasnt ruined already. I took the intake off and replaced the gasket which was clearly blown. I put everything back together and it seems like the timing was off. My idle idles at 950 now which i believe needs to be at but was still kinda slugish. Ones it warms up it starts acting retarded and starts to suck in alot of air and then almost dies. after alittle while it dies then doesnt turn on at all. My plugs are new, cap and roter are new, fuel pump is new, fuel filter is new. intake gasket new, oil pan gasket, tps and iac valve is new. I dont know what else to think other then that the timing must be really out of wack. we set the timing to 0 on the pulley then pointed the big end of the distributer in between 1 and 8 in which it was really pointed to 8 more then 1. Need some serious advice here.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: blew the intake manifold seals

First thing I'd do is change the oil. Twice, if it's still milky after the first.[/align][/align]After that, if it's timed right and still running funny, you might wanna pull that intake and check it to make sure nothing warped when she overheated. I think the tolerance is something like .002-.004 inches, and since it blew when you overheated, I'd be willing to bet it's not in spec anymore. That would likely be causing even the new gasket to leak a bit.[/align]

Old 02-21-2007, 10:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I got it to run again yesterday to timing and sounded really good until it started to warm up then it made this sound out of the tbi like if it wanted to suck in alot of air. after that it started to slow down. it did the same thing the other day. now the engine seems to not want to start or do anything. its not turning over. my cousin thinks i must of wasted my starter. were going to take it off and put it back on and see what that does. i know the engine isnt done cause the pulley still turns when i turn it by hand. I already changed the oil and the dip stick still kinda smells like fuel alittle. when i changed the oil the first time when all this happend i filled up 4 gallons of oil, antifreeze and fuel all together.lol... this sux.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

I second the warped intake. When it warms up, the gap expands and gets worse. Try the old 'starting fluid' leak test. And for gods sake, be careful.......