Best Intake for the vortecs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Best Intake for the vortecs?

Its time to buy the intake........Im looking for a good intake that will provide monstrous flow on the bottom to mid range. There seems to be a few different brands putting out basic 'performer' style manifolds. Any suggestions or comments? Summit has a store brand for less then 150 bucks, the 'Brock equivalent is shy of 200.....

Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

Jr, once again I ask if you are on JEGS payroll? 8*)

The first manifold you showed was a 'air gap' model, the other two werent. Ive been told (maybe erroneously ) that 'air gap' manifolds are better suited for race cars that spend more time at WOT than a street car. The produce more power in the upper RPM ranges. Any merit to this?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

can't say ive heard that the air gap is for high rpm use. the idea is to separate the incoming air/fuel charge from the hot oil splashing on the underside of the intake manifold, as well as the coolant passing through the lower part of the manifold. now that weiand is advertised as a high rise manifold, which im thinking that after the air cleaner is installed, probably wont fit under the stock hood, but im not 100% on that

Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Oooooh, dont give me a reason to cut the hood and install a scoop.......

Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by microkid
can't say ive heard that the air gap is for high rpm use. the idea is to separate the incoming air/fuel charge from the hot oil splashing on the underside of the intake manifold, as well as the coolant passing through the lower part of the manifold. now that weiand is advertised as a high rise manifold, which im thinking that after the air cleaner is installed, probably wont fit under the stock hood, but im not 100% on that
What he said about the air gap. If I end up getting a new manifold that's probably what I'll get.

I didn't notice the Weiand was a high rise manifold. That would cause hood clearance issues. I have a standard rise Edelbrock Performer RPM combined with my Street Avenger and a drop base 14x3" filter. I come within 1/4" of hitting the hood.

I'd say the standard run of the mill Edelbrock Performer or equivalent will be fine for you Scott. No matter what you get you won't see too much of a difference in power either way.

Oh yeah, no I'm not on Jegs' pay roll. lol. I just have spent thousands of dollars there with zero mix ups, bad products, lack of customer service, etc. Their customer service is exceptional. Last time I had a question about something the guy turned out to be a yachting fanatic (I work for my father's hydraulic business that deals mainly with mega yachts), and we got to talking back and forth about my line of work.

Last edited by Jr. Mechanic; 01-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah Ill probably get the Edelbrock or Weiand. Id love to get the highrise but I really dont wanna deal with hood clearance issues right now.

My ONLY complaint with JEGS is that their website is hard to navigate and not nearly as user friendly as Summit. Thats the major reason why I do more business with Summit. If you keep sending me these links...I may be swayed!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ScottD
Yeah Ill probably get the Edelbrock or Weiand. Id love to get the highrise but I really dont wanna deal with hood clearance issues right now.

My ONLY complaint with JEGS is that their website is hard to navigate and not nearly as user friendly as Summit. Thats the major reason why I do more business with Summit. If you keep sending me these links...I may be swayed!
Honestly that's the exact reason I don't use Summit. I've always found their website more difficult to navigate than that of Jegs. I've been fooling around on Jegs since I was a little kid though, so that may be why.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you want a good manifold with better bottom end power, then steer clear of any intake that isn't a dual plane! Open plenum intakes are strictly for mid-top end range engines. The air gap can be found in open plenum or dual plane intakes, so the air gap part is just to deliver cooler fuel to the engine.
I personally have nothing against JEG's, but also find Summit's site much easier to navigate. Plus anytime I've had a shipping delay issue with Summit, or one of their suppliers; Summit has refunded all my shipping costs. That's pretty much sold me on them.

For $211 I'd get their air gap intake!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-226019/?rtype=10

Last edited by 1971BB427; 01-14-2010 at 09:59 PM.