Barn Find!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Default Barn Find!

Hey guys, first post here. My name is Pete, I'm in Rochester, NY. I met a girl who's mother has been keeping an '84 Z28 in the garage under a tarp for 25 years. I'd like to go through the car and get it going again. I have a decent amount of experience under the hood (dare I say... working on old Fords...
is that a bad word around here? ).
The car ran when parked and was perfectly fine. I've already pulled the ol Rochester Quadrajet off and the primary was stuck closed, good soak in carb cleaner freed it up. How deep dare I go into this carb? I've never been in a carb that is this new, I understand that this is the last year for them so there's a lot of regulatory electronics and BS to be concerned about. Dare I attempted a full rebuild after it's been sitting this long, or just squirt carb cleaner down and through all of the orifices I can get the straw in?
Also pulled the #1 plug and it looked great, nothing that you don't want to see. I plan to squirt Marvel Mystery oil down all the cylinders and let it soak in before I try to turn this thing by hand.
I also have to vacuum out all the rat turds, really hope they haven't chewed too much up. I can get through the mechanical stuff but wires scare me!
Opening up this car, there's a lot more wires and hoses than I'm used to, but I've been pretty careful keeping track where things go. If anyone has any tips and tricks for reviving one​ of these cars that's been sitting this long, please let me know!
Thanks for your help, I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Old 06-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Well that carb will probably need to be gone through but hell I'd give the carb cleaner a try first anyhow.
You might want to use some compressed air to blow out the fuel lines and replace any fuel filters inline or in the carb, should be one in the carb where the line comes in.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:11 PM
4th Gear Member

Barn finds can be good or a bad thing depends on how much ,or how well it was stored ,but yes like said above along with hoses all the fluids drain whatever was in the gas tank out too belts anti freeze ,then see how it goes ,post pics is it clean ??? ,i dont think ford is a bad word ,i drove them for years with no trouble,i just now prefur chevy ,if its got an engine got to love it ,other then dodgethey have few nice cars too,but few