Anybody know a good STRIPPER?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Anybody know a good STRIPPER?

For my car! The paint on my (plastic) nose is all cracked to hell and Im going to have to strip it down the the bare plastic. The paint is really thick, and the thought of hand sanding this thing is impossible. Does anybody make an automotive chemical paint stripper that is SAFE on plastic. Nobody at NAPA or Home Depot seems to know....

Old 11-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Anybody know a good STRIPPER?

There is a stripper I have used. Its in an arosol can and you might need to get it from an automotive paint supplier. It is made for the urethane bumper covers. Autozone may have it.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:06 AM

why don't you just DA it instead of using a stripper?

Old 11-26-2006, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

By DA do you mean power sander? Too many nooks and cranny's. ALL the paint is pulling away and chipping off, 'specially in all the corners. I bought the stripper stuff MadMike suggested, IM on my way to the carwash now to try it out!

Just got back from the wash. Holy crap, there was a LOT of paint on that bumper. Im on my second can, and just starting to get down to the primer. Im gonna need at least another 2 cans, and at $7.50 a pop I bet I could just have tracked down somebody to sandblast it! I had to leave the wash early, some attendants started eyeballing me as I was spraying an aerosol can on loose car parts in their bays. Im sure thats an EPA violation....

Old 11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: ScottD

By DA do you mean power sander?
DA=Dual Action. A random orbit power sander. It's an Auto Body industry term, mostly. DA is much faster to say than random orbit power sander.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Either way, the 'plastic bumper paint stripper' wasnt working. I went to the depot and got some Orange goo stripper stuff. Says "Safer" all over it. I can only pray it doesnt eat the plastic! Now I wait 30 minutes......

Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Overdrive Member

The problem with most strippers is that it will heat up and warp the bumper. Blasting can also do that. Use a plastic scraper and scrape the crap off onto some news paper or cardboard and through it in the trash if the car wash guys stop you from dumping all that poison.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ive been working with that 'Orange goo' all night. Paint on, sit for 45 mins, scrub, wash, repeat. Ive got about 75% of the finish off. Its gettin cold out, I think Im gonna hose it off one last time and bribe some body man at a local shop to hit it with a sandblaster for 30 seconds. Damn this is a PITA. I never imagined stripping this thing would be this complicated. I really wonder if one of the harsher strippers would have actually hurt it or not!? Another day spent breathing life into my neglected Camaro. I wonder if I can wear a "Domestic Restoration" ribbon on my Dress Blues uniform for my upcoming Xmas Ball?....

Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 AM
March 2008 ROTM

there is a stripper i used when restoreing my 68 chevy truck. I got it at auto zone. Its aircraft stripper or something to that effect. Its pretty darn harsh im not gona lie. might screw up the plastic, wasnt a worry for me since there isnt an ounce of plastic on the body of that old truck.

you a Marine huh Scott?

Old 11-27-2006, 01:59 AM

well I had the same proble when I had to buy a nose form the salvage thats why I used a DA yes u can use one on the flat surfaces but you have to be very carful on the rounded edges and not screw them up for them use sand paper. when I got mine the paint was peeling from someone that tryed to paint it and didn't know what they where doing so we completly stripped it down to the plastic/primer.