Another "wont' even crank" story!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Default Another "wont' even crank" story!!!

ok I have a 92' 25th aniversery V8 standard T-tops 5-speed(my dream car that I got for my eighteenth birthday-1998) that I haven't heard start in almost a year. I've read through the previous theads dealing with this but I gotta here for myself. One of those model friends decided to get mad and turned the ignition so that you could take the key out at anytime. I also have a set of headman shorty headers that have been nothing but a headache on it. But one day she just stopped cranking. At the time I replaced the starter and checked all the standard causes(alternator, and battery)...Being told at the time that it maybe the ignition(key has chip) by a guy at the local dealership. I moved out of town and stored the car at my grandfathers. My sister wanted to burrow her in return she would have one of her hill billy inbred boyfriends friend(who she claimed to be a mechanic) get it back and running. I WANT MY CAR TO RUN AGAIN!!! I love this car and will never sell it. But due to money and other factors I have neglected her. Supposedly after tellling me I was wrong with my diagnosis of the vehicle the guy did replace the ignition...But they never got it running. I have also lost the key to the ignition that was put in...And have no reciept(was told another key from the dealership could be made if they could pull a certian number from the purchase) because it was misplaced by my sister. They did say they bypassed the ignition with some sort of hot wire and it ran irratacely not idling and I think topping out at 2500rpms... I really havent had the time or the patience to mess with it but if I don't get it back on the road I'll have to keep driving this HOT *** 93 ford areostar and I'm tired of fighting off all the ladies. Only thing its good for is girls with trophys and granmothers with wheelchairs...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5849/7835B3E7094E47689A0C523A22F268B5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Another "wont' even crank" story!!!

First thing I would do is check the neutral safety switch, and see if it's even connected. There's a connector on an orange wire coming out of the back if the steering collumn over the drivers side floor. Just a single wire. I had one that came disconnected, and for 3 months I didn't think to check it. Luckily it was a T5 tranny, so I could push start, but it still sucked.

After that, check to see if there's anything drawing on the battery when you try to crank it. If not, I would look into an open ignition circuit. Just pick up some wiring diagrams and trace the whole thing. Start out about halfway through the circuit checking for voltage, since that way you only have to check half of the circuit (if there's only one problem in it, that is)

One more thing. Most people aren't mechanics. Most mechanics aren't mechanics. Don't believe them unless they have legitimate proof that they are.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:08 PM

also the deal should be able to order u a key if you bring them the vin # of the car the factory has a template for every key it makes.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Check the starter wire. I had a 3rd gen that wouldn't start because the starter wire had .9 ohms resistance instead of .5 ohms. Don't ask me how or why but it just doesn't give it enough voltage or amperage that it needs. Also, check for loose or hanging wires in the engine compartment, you never know what could've happened. Good luck!
[align=left] [/align]