'92 V7 (Yes, 7.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default '92 V7 (Yes, 7.)

I drove about a hundred miles down to the beach last weekend. The drive down was great; I even took the car to 135 a couple of times on the way.

But driving back was...difficult. Everything was prefectly fine when I arrived. But the next morning I had some serious problems...

I'll spare you the adventure, but after taking it to the only autoshop in town (Bridgestone) where the lone mechanic offered his services (and burned his arm against the headers and got a nice jolt from the distributor) after we explained our situation (we needed to get home), we found the following problems:

One cylinder was not firing. We replaced the plug and wire, but there was no difference.

The engine bay smelled like gasoline. If it was left to idle for a few minutes, there would be a small pool of oily gas on the floor.

There was raw gasoline steaming from my exhaust.

The car was very difficult to start (7-8 seconds of cranking and pressing on the gas).

When I removed the plenum, there was oily gasoline in the runner above the cylinder that wasn't firing.

There was no pressure (or fuel) in the fuel lines when I unscrewed them.

The mechanic said it was probably an injector stuck open. He thinks maybe the fuel fouled out the plug so that it wouldn't fire.

So far I've taken off the plenum and started on the rail, but mainly I'm trying to get to the injectors, which, by the way, all tested at about 16.6 ohms. I'm also going to inspect the rail for any cracks.

But meanwhile, does anyone have any other suggestions?

On a side note, why the hell are the fuel line retaining bolts standard?!?[&:]