92 RS rearend swap, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 AM

also i have heard quite a bit about gas causing issues due to ethanol. I did however gas up just approx 1 hour before these symptoms. it was super hot today, but agin eng temp was fine. around 220 and lower. i already got a cat on the way and an egr valve in the garage. what about this muffler heating up my tank and melting my bumper? oh fyi coolant levels are steady, and oil is clean and free of outside contaminants. could the cat cause all the collateral damage? has anyone had issues similar?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well. It does sound like something is getting really hot. I would guess that your cat could "probobly" be clogged a little, leading to really hot temps. I too boil fuel too much for my liking. I'm in Tucson, so we're 2-3 degrees cooler than you guys. But, my concern is that excess pressure could cause my tank to leak. So: Check to make sure your cap is good, check to make sure your return lines are working. Check to make sure the heat shield between muffler and the tank is in place. Pull the cat off to look at the matrix. That is the cheap place to start.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 PM

k once again need help..... swapped out the cat and egr valve, after the excess pressure i was hoping the thing would start and run like a champ.... nope. started and idle was low... crappy runningso i pulled air cover and saw only one injector spraying, i cut it off and swapped the connections hoping the other wud work, and the same was spraying while the other did nada. maybe the excess pressure jacked the injector or regulator? do both spray at idle? also when running crappy, a light smoke comes up along firewall from below distributor.... i am at a loss

Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

use an ohm meter and check the resistance across the terminals on the injector that isnt firing. compare it to the one that is firing. if you get no reading, then the coil is bad and the injector needs replaced. if you do get a reading, remove the injector and soak it in some mineral spirits and check the tip for blockage. if that doesnt unclog it, then just replace. i would replace both. the other issues you were having would not have caused the injector to stop working, however the injector not working correctly could have caused the other issues

Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 PM

Wow. I got it! Used an ohm meter and first did a tbi rebuild kit. Soaked the injectors in carb cleaner and used air pressure to clean it all. Re assembled and same thing, same injector didn't work. Ohm readings were 1.3 on the "bad" one and 1.5 on good functioning injector, all within resist perimeters. So I replaced it anyway and BAM! It must be clogged beyond cleaning. After all I have changed and parts galore! She runs awesome!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM

New injector read 1.3 just like the bad one. So its not blown just clogged. But after replaced it's great! With the new coil, cat and fuel press regulator it runs like a champ! Now I'm gonna get a vented fuel cap to remedy my pressure issues.. Btw I cleaned all involved with the fuel tank vent valve and canister.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:44 PM

During all this I questioned the engine and what not, but after a compression test 3 of 8 cylinders had 120 pounds steady on each. The cat needs to be welded up, but the exhaust doesn't smell rich anymore and the throttle response is crisp. I anticipate an easy emissions "PASS"!