91 Camaro Z28 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Default RE: 91 Camaro Z28 questions

what website is good to find parts, such as hatch shocks to keep the hood up, and other products?

Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

hawks third gen, or classic industries

Old 12-07-2005, 03:53 AM

I'm planning to add new headers to my '91 z28 along with a new exhaust system. What do u guys recommend me on buying. If u guys know on the brand, sizes and prices let me know. Also, what is a resonator, and should i get one? I'm keeping the 350 motor TPI automatic so would any of ur advices change due to this? If I also put a new suspension system on it what do u guys recommend along with the height that i should have the car at since the previous owner had it dropped a little? One more question, Could i put a true duel exhaust sysem on this car and what should be the height so that i wont be scrapping the bottom of the driveway everytime i drive to or back up? THANX FOR UR GUYS ADVICES AND RECOMMENDATIONS!!!

Old 12-09-2005, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: g_ride

well, i need major help. I just took possesion of a 91 Camaro Z28 and i don't know where to begin the fixing and adding of aftermarket parts. It has a problem with the engine getting to hot eventhough i've already took the car to get checked out and the mechanic said he didn't know what it was but that the radiator wasn't the problem. Anyways I have about $3000 to play with right now and I think i may end up with $1000-$2000 more to play with. Where do you guys think i should start off, whether being the engine, exhaust, etc..? By the way, the engine has about 157,000 miles on it. I don't know how the transmission's condition is at at this point. The exhaust piping is rusty (i don't know about the under carriage) and also the whole area around the breaks look rusty. The car has not been moved for about two years and was parked outside the whole time. Again, i'm new to this forum and my car performance knowledge sucks major ****'n'*****.. What do u think?
Before you start modding, get the bugs worked out. There's no sense in pouring mods into a car that isn't running right. If your car is overheating and it's not the radiator, make sure the headgasket isn't blown. Also change the thermostat.

As for the exhaust being rusted, you can get a very nice exhaust system for about $300. I purchased a Hooker 3" catback for about $290, I believe, but don't quote me on it, because it was quite a while ago. I can't remember the exact price. I will mention that the fitment was quite good, looks nice, and not only provided a noticeable gain, but an incredible tone to boot!

Since you say that your knowledge "sucks major Cs & Bs," I highly recommend picking up a Haynes manual, or even factory manuals, and thorougly reading them. It won't be the most exciting reading material, but you're bound to learn something. I believe that the first "mod" you need to make is to get familiar with your car, and a factory service manual will do just that. I'm not sure what the price is for a factory service manual, but I know they run well over $100. They might even be pushing the $300 mark, but knowledge is priceless, especially if it comes to a car that you plan on owning for a while, and also fixing. The first time you do something semi-time consuming, the $300 that you would've spent on labor would've paid for itself.

Since you are modding, I also HIGHLY recommend a book called "How To Tune & Modify Your Camaro, 1982-1998," by Jason Scott. It is part of a series called "Motorbooks PowerTech Series." It is published by "MBI Publishing Company." The cover of the book is red, yellow, and blue, and has a beautiful red 3rd Gen on the cover. I found this book to be very easy to understand, being a "novice" myself. I will also make mention that it is an excellent read.