85 z engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Default 85 z engine problem

ok heres my situation. i just bought an 85 z TPI
guy says it needs a MAF thats why it will run rough when u drive it home
he was right. it chokes : the check engine light came on : idled reallly low.
I unplugged it and ran great at idle except it would stall if i drive it and would back fire.
Next thing i did was borrow 2 MAF that my buddy had laying around. the thing is it is unknown condition. so i tried both of them.
same problem. so i figure there both busted as well.
TOday i went to the junkyard. paid 100 bills for a used one and the thing now is its running normal but the check engine light is on and is reading code 33 which is replace MAF. yea codes 33 34 36 all involve MAF. well what im probly gonna do now is return the MAF and GET a NEW 1. thats first

Which leads me to my main problem. when i start and run the car and hit the gas the engine doesnt rev correctly . it like revs a lil bit and i gotta keep hitting the gas to get it going. at least thats why i had to to on my way home from the guys house. im thinking it could be an air leak or air problem. i doub **** the tranny.

IF anybody understands this problem get back to me. Thanks !

Old 07-25-2006, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 85 z engine problem

just unplug the battery for 15 minutes. that will reset the computer

Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Maf burn off relay on the located on the firewall will set those codes off. A $15 item will in most cases solve your problem. Replacing the Maf Senor is not the cause of those codes.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Overdrive Member

Code 33 is the MAP sensor not the MAF.
And to clear the code you just need to disconect the battery for a minimum of 30 seconds.
Check your vacuum lines and also it may sound strange but a worn distributer will set that code.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 PM

ok heres the deal i have tried 4 used maf sensors, either there all busted or thats not the case and im jus going to return it and use my original one. so ur sayin to replace the maf relay ? ? bc on every maf sensor ive used , it runs like crap until i unplug the clip on it. once the clip is off, the engine light turns on but idles better. when the clip is in, the engine light is off and runs rough.

but my main problem is when i hit the gas it chokes a lil bit but has NO pick up .... i have to rev gas a few times and it starts to move. i dont know if its the tranny ,,, i hope not....im in the process of a tune up. oil, plugs, fuel filter.,,,,ect... but has anybody ever had this problem and fixed it w/o gettin a new or rebuilt tranny...

also if i keep reving it the engine backfires.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: streetsk8er447

ok heres the deal i have tried 4 used maf sensors, either there all busted or thats not the case and im jus going to return it and use my original one. so ur sayin to replace the maf relay ? ? bc on every maf sensor ive used , it runs like crap until i unplug the clip on it. once the clip is off, the engine light turns on but idles better. when the clip is in, the engine light is off and runs rough.

but my main problem is when i hit the gas it chokes a lil bit but has NO pick up .... i have to rev gas a few times and it starts to move. i dont know if its the tranny ,,, i hope not....im in the process of a tune up. oil, plugs, fuel filter.,,,,ect... but has anybody ever had this problem and fixed it w/o gettin a new or rebuilt tranny...

also if i keep reving it the engine backfires.
It s a map sensor code!

Old 07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: streetsk8er447

ok heres my situation. i just bought an 85 z TPI
guy says it needs a MAF thats why it will run rough when u drive it home
he was right. it chokes : the check engine light came on : idled reallly low.
I unplugged it and ran great at idle except it would stall if i drive it and would back fire.
Next thing i did was borrow 2 MAF that my buddy had laying around. the thing is it is unknown condition. so i tried both of them.
same problem. so i figure there both busted as well.
TOday i went to the junkyard. paid 100 bills for a used one and the thing now is its running normal but the check engine light is on and is reading code 33 which is replace MAF. yea codes 33 34 36 all involve MAF. well what im probly gonna do now is return the MAF and GET a NEW 1. thats first

Which leads me to my main problem. when i start and run the car and hit the gas the engine doesnt rev correctly . it like revs a lil bit and i gotta keep hitting the gas to get it going. at least thats why i had to to on my way home from the guys house. im thinking it could be an air leak or air problem. i doub **** the tranny.

IF anybody understands this problem get back to me. Thanks !
And this PM just sent to me by Streetsk8er447

yo listen , I kno what code 33 is , u dont have to keep replyin to me, sayin its a map sensor. im tryin to discuss other things. . i have a haynes manual with the code list. my problem, is i gotta figure out if my tranny is shot. or that replacing the map sensor will do the trick .. my mass air flow is messed up too ,... im going to change plugs and cap and rotor. flush tranny and get filter changed ,.,,,,im jus hoping by doin a tune up this car will run right, not the way it is. i just bought it with no history .,,,its not on the road its in my driveway

If he knows what a code 33 is why does he state in his post "33 which is replace MAF"?
This guy has to be in his mid 20's. The younger people, you try to help and they are so unappricietive because they think they have all the answers. I will take on his haynes manual with my Snap-on Modis scanner any day.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Tech Droid

If this is any help, a bad transmission is not going to cause the engine to run badly, but a bad engine can make a good transmission act badly. Your car being a 1985 is not equipped with a MAP sensor, and code 33, in your case, is for a MAF sensor. Also make sure the air filter is clean and that there are no air/vacuum leaks between the MAF and the throttle body. Also check the burn off relay otherwise the MAF will get crudded up, or even worse get burned out, if the relay fails to release.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:01 PM

thanks ! im doin a major tune up over the weekend, i really dont think my tranny is bad, the car needs a good tune up im sure.