305 tpi swap to 383stroker carb.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Default 305 tpi swap to 383stroker carb.

This is my first camaro
I bought it for 600 bucks
It is a locked up 5.0 tpi
I have a 383 setup with transmission matched for $2000 available
I ust want to know what I should expect to change

Motor is complete from top to bottom transmission has a 2800 stall

Any help/advice is very appreciated
-Rick

Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Expect to spend some good money for all new belts, mounts, ignition, exhaust etc. Then hope you don't need to go through emissions...

Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
Expect to spend some good money for all new belts, mounts, ignition, exhaust etc. Then hope you don't need to go through emissions...
Ok I guess you didn't get what I was saying or I wasn't clear enough.

Its is a complete motor with ALL axcessories,ignition,belts...I'm pretty sure the headers won't fit, but thats not a issue...
The car is emissions exempt so no issue there.

Anything else?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just curious, how is that car emissions exempt? Second, 2G for a complete stroker sounds pretty cheap....almost too cheap. A good forged rotating assembly for that motor is nearly that much. If its good, then you are getting a steal, especially if you have a transmission. If its complete, then just the obvious things like fluids.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by djs383
Just curious, how is that car emissions exempt? Second, 2G for a complete stroker sounds pretty cheap....almost too cheap. A good forged rotating assembly for that motor is nearly that much. If its good, then you are getting a steal, especially if you have a transmission. If its complete, then just the obvious things like fluids.
Well it will be exempt in jan if it isnt already...
Thanks for assurring me this is a good deal! My service manager is getting a divorce and needs some cash therefore I asked him how much he wanted for it and he told me he has over $3200 in parts just in the motor alone, but he said he rather see me have the motor then somone on CL or somthing!

Main thing I was worried about was fitment issues

Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Talking

what transmission? might be a driveshaft difference. also might want to look at the mounting ability of the torque arm as well. more than likely a transmission crossmember will be needed unless it is a 700r4. you might also want to look into upgrading the rear suspension.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by one92rs
what transmission? might be a driveshaft difference. also might want to look at the mounting ability of the torque arm as well. more than likely a transmission crossmember will be needed unless it is a 700r4. you might also want to look into upgrading the rear suspension.
Its happens to be a 700r4 and the good thing is the guy that I'm buying it from has built transmissions for twenty years
I am worried about being able to mount the torque arm though!

I plan on finding a rear end out of a monte carlo ss with 373 gears(plannng>>>) who knows what I'll find though
what rear ends bolt up??
thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 PM

You can get away with that swap fairly cheep if you have a parts pickup laying around.

1st save your engine mounts
2nd swap out all the acc brackets for something from the 70's or early 80's pickup
3rd be ready to chop a lot of wiring. Most of the TPI wiring comes from the passanger side of the engine bay. (try to take all the TPI stuff out whole. you can resell it to recoup some cash)
4th The gauge cluster is run off of the computer. Chuck that and get one out of a carb camaro.
5th The dist out of the old pickup will also work. Its a one wire set up. So all you need to find is ignition power. Has to be an HEI set up
6th the alternator from a 70's pickup is a GM one wire so you can run one wire to the batt but the voltage gauge wires should still be the same. so you can use that.
7th. Get a fuel pressure regulator and "hot wire" the intank pump to an ignition source of power sence the intank pump needs a signal from the TPI dist.

The trans should be a direct bolt in if you are just changine the TPI engine to a 383 with a 700R4

Any more questions?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Talking

86 model. it is a cable speedo. all the gauges run off sending units. i have a 1992 and it is all senders still. leave the pcm in there and let it do the alternator if you want. i did. just removed the bulb. new hei's are easy to come by. as for fuel put in a hobbs switch next to the oil pressure switch and run it to the fuel pump relay. no oil pressure no fuel pump. the wires that powered the coil will power an hei. look at the 700r4. you might be able to change out the tailshafts and still mount the torque arm.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HE22871
You can get away with that swap fairly cheep if you have a parts pickup laying around.

1st save your engine mounts
2nd swap out all the acc brackets for something from the 70's or early 80's pickup
3rd be ready to chop a lot of wiring. Most of the TPI wiring comes from the passanger side of the engine bay. (try to take all the TPI stuff out whole. you can resell it to recoup some cash)
4th The gauge cluster is run off of the computer. Chuck that and get one out of a carb camaro.
5th The dist out of the old pickup will also work. Its a one wire set up. So all you need to find is ignition power. Has to be an HEI set up
6th the alternator from a 70's pickup is a GM one wire so you can run one wire to the batt but the voltage gauge wires should still be the same. so you can use that.
7th. Get a fuel pressure regulator and "hot wire" the intank pump to an ignition source of power sence the intank pump needs a signal from the TPI dist.

The trans should be a direct bolt in if you are just changine the TPI engine to a 383 with a 700R4

Any more questions?

Or you can do it the right way...

1st. Get brand new mounts, the rubber in the clam shell mounts are notorious for shearing. Get quality mounts.
2nd. You can use all of your stock brackets and use that money elsewhere, especially if it was v-belt.
3rd. yes you can get some money back if you are very carefull in removal of tpi wiring from the harness. One wrong move and you easily be able to re-sell though.
4th. you can use all your stock gauges, just swap out the sending units if you want to keep the stock look. All of mine work and have been backed by checking with a 2nd mechanical gauge.
5th. If you have a motor with over 3G in internals, use a good ignition system. They are relatively cheap and worth the few extra dollars. Just find the pink hot wire from the keyed on switch.
6th. Use the stock alternator as it was probobly higher amps for a/c and other electrical draw.
7th. What fuel pump do you plan on using? That will make a large difference in how you go about fuel delivery.

I don't mean to bag on your post, but a high performance motor deserves high performace parts.

Quick Reply: 305 tpi swap to 383stroker carb.