1991 RS Overheats, Fan issues, leaking engine coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Default 1991 RS Overheats, Fan issues, leaking engine coolant

My 1991 RS Camaro TBI 305 is constantly overheating, and the only way that I can keep it cool, is by constantly filling the radiator and the coolant compartment with water. That's really all I can do, but when I run out of water in either, the car overheats, and I start burning coolant.

The fan on the radiator doesn't turn on when I start the car, and it doesn't turn on when I put the key in the "On" position, either. The only time that the fan blows is when I have the A/C on, but it only blows TOWARD the engine. It doesn't blow toward the radiator. I don't know if this is a problem, but when I told it to the mechanics, they seemed a little confused why it would be blowing in the opposite direction.

My question is, is there any way to make the fan blow on the radiator, because I am really getting tired of having to poor water into the car every 30 miles. Someone please help. I don't want to get rid of this car, it's my first camaro, and also my first car.

Please help.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Jeez! What kind of moochanic are you going to? You should find one that knows his azz from a hole in the ground!
First of all, the fan is supposed to blow towards the engine. In that direction, it is also drawing air through the radiator, which is the same direction air is naturally flowing as you're driving down the road. The fan should turn on as the engine calls for it, after engine temp nears the 220 mark, or when the A/C is switched on.
But your real problem is, where is the coolant going? Either you have an external leak, which you should be able to see considering how much you're losing. Or, you have an internal leak...intake manifold or head gasket. Are you getting any white clouds of smoke out the tailpipe? That's a good (bad) sign of an internal leak.
Another possibility, is that the fan isn't going on when it's supposed to, and it's making the engine overheat and the radiator would be pissing a lot of coolant out. But again, you would be able to see signs of that under the hood, and on the ground.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-10-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

freeze plugs might be bad , mine are but my fan works so it takes care of its self and i also refill everynow and then

Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM

your fan is just one blade right not dual? well if that is the case and it will only run when you turn your A/C on is that you have 2 speeds for your AC. your first speed is broke so i would take it in and replace the speeds in it which well help keep everything cool and then you dont have to worry about overheating. If it still does...i dont know..but i would try that first and im pretty sure that is it. It's not that big of a deal dont get rid of your car for it lol try that and let me know what happens

Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have an '89 RS that had the TBI 305 and I had an issue with the fan not working. Turned out to be the cooling fan relay which is located on the firewall next to the brake booster. I agree with camaro 69, you need a new mechanic.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

The bigger issue here is WHERE IS THE COOLANT GOING? You are either boiling it off (ooooh, bad bad bad,) or leaking it.

Your fan will only kick on when your engine reaches a specific temp. Thats why it just doesnt run in the 'on' position. Someone here smarter than me will know the temp.

It sounds to me like you are....1) leaking coolant........... 2) Overheating.........3) T-stat kicks in, fills block, cools, heats, leaks, go back to step 2.

This is indicative of a blown head gasket. Rent a pressure tester from a-zone. Im sorry my friend...........if you gotta rip the heads off, you may as well yank the 305 and drop in a 350.....Lemme know what happens.