1985 Camaro Z28 LED Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Default 1985 Camaro Z28 LED Headlights?

I'm a proud owner of a 1985 Camaro Z28 T-Top at the age of 16. The only problem is that while my father was raised with cars and knows how to fix just about anything that isn't electrical, I wasn't and I don't. He's been a lot of help fixing what needs to be fixed, but I've also been obsessing over my baby, constantly thinking of things I'd like to restore, change, or update. One of those being the lights. Right now, my headlights are halogens, and I don't know what my parking lights, tail lights, and turn signals are. What I'd like to do is convert all of those to LEDs because they're brighter and use less energy. So I have a few questions:

1) Should I change the exterior lights to LEDs?
2) Where can I find the parts to change them (keeping in mind I am a 16 year old who's in the process of securing a job)
3) How do I do it?

Anyone with any experience in this matter or who can give me some good advice, I'm very grateful. Please, no nasty or sarcastic responses.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Honestly, depending on where you live (99% of the time) cops will pull you over on any excuse because of HID's. Honestly I think that if you kept it original that you would be better off. Yeah they might be more efficient and brighter BUT anything electrical on a 3rd gen that can go wrong almost always will. I've been learning that the hard way lately. Besides, HID's blind drivers at night who have really light sensitive vision i.e. me lol and you can adjust the positioning and clean the glass and have a better line of sight come nightfall. I'm from NJ though so maybe its completely different for you

Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 AM

Okay, thanks. I live in northwestern Illinois, but I haven't been driving for any more than 3 months (I turned 16 in early February), so I have no idea what the cops are like. I think I'll keep the lights Halogens, what they are right now. I understand the sensitive eyes. I have steel blue eyes, so I have to wear sunglasses even on overcast days because I can't see.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

companies do make plastic head light housing you can use a replaceable bulb, but usually yellow over time. wagner does make a headlight that the lamp has a blue tint, creating a bright white light. as for changing all the lights to led, take a look at www.superbrightleds.com i upgraded all of my bulbs and also had to change the flasher to an electronic one. its about $200 to change all of them and the flasher

Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Leave em alone bub. Switching to HD, LED or other systems may cause you electrical headaches. It will detract from the classic look of the car and beg for tickets. Its also a ****ty ricer characteristic. Spend your time and money on maintenance items like suspension and tune ups, it will save you from larger bills down the road. You may have nice super bright lights, but if your tie rod ends are out of spec and your tires get wrecked, its going to be a 500 dollar tire and alignment....probably money you dont have. Dont get tempted to add performance parts, go fast stuff or modifications. You are young, inexperienced and broke. Just keep the car running and enjoy your classic. Seriously, when I was your age my sole reason for working was to pay my car insurance. **** gets expensive real quick and I realized that all the mods in the world didnt matter if the car broke down over something I could have prevented. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I wish I could "like" comments on here like Facebook

Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have HID projectors on my 84, they are bi xenon and are so much better than those stock bulbs it's unbelievable. Plus since they are true HID projectors with a shield there is no blinding of oncoming traffic because of the cutoff. The ones I bought plug into your existing wiring and not cutting/splicing needed.

If you do HIDs, you have to do it right and go with true HID projectors. All together mine came to over $500. Don't try and throw HID into an H4 housing, otherwise you'll throw light all over the place and blind everyone.
Before:

After:

I also retrofitted LED into the rest of the exterior lights.

You can learn a lot over at HIDPlanet for both HIDs and LEDs