1983 Z-28 Would appreciate any advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Default 1983 Z-28 Would appreciate any advice.

My name is Josh, I am new here and hopefully looking for some advice on a Camaro I would like to purchase. I'm grateful for any advice.

I have been casually looking around for a Camaro. My requirements are slightly strict as I want it to be a V-8 car with a manual transmission. I also need it to be an '83 or older because I refuse to deal with emissions.

Well I found one recently that I am seriously considering. It's a 1983 Z-28 with the H code 150 HP 305 (It said in the ad it was the H.O. so I was a little disappointed) and a 5 speed. It says 86k miles on the odometer which I don't really have any reason to doubt as the car runs pretty good. Mechanically the car is in great shape down to working AC and everything seems tight. My biggest gripe with the car is that it has ****-poor paint on it, and the interior is absolutely shot. It also has T-Tops which I was trying to avoid because I was told that it can limit your horse power potential because it turns into a weak spot. He was asking $1500 so I offered him $1200 which he does not seem too objected to. He is supposedly showing the car today but I doubt it. I'll be calling him tonight to see if it's still available.

So, any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds like a fun project but I would't pay that much money for it.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would say you aren't ready yet then. It sounds as if you want a turn-key already completed project car, for cheap. That will not happen. There were no powerful V-8's at all from the mid 70's up until really the LS1's. Okay, I know some have done a good job with L-98's and the LT-1's, but in stock trim, they were nothing to brag about. Secondly, I can never understand the obsession with manual, yep they're fun, but unless they are designed for what you want (clutch too) they cannot hold up to decent HP motors. Lastly, a 26 year old car will not ever have good paint or a good interior unless garaged. Emissions? They are everywhere and are getting tighter by the month. Even in strict emission states, it is still possible to make a great car with minimal effort. I hate them too, but get used to it. You can thank peoples past 30 years of voting for some of our "standards"

What you want to look for is a car with no rust, a clean title, an imagination or vision, and a lot of time, patience, energy, and $$$$$$$$$$

Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the two replies. I never meant to give the impression that I wanted a really cheap ready to go car that looks as good as it drives. I was more curious about whether or not it was a bad price for this car with the two flaws I mentioned. I also forgot to mention it is rust free and carries a clean title. My plan for the car is to either remove the catalytic converters completely or replace them with high flow versions after getting headers. I also am planning on ditching the intake and carburetor in favor of atermarket ones. Just looking for a decent secondary car that with some effort will look good. This car fits the bill but I don't want to overpay... I just have not been too "into" '80's Camaro's to know if its too high of a price.

P.S. Something I hope never changes anytime soon is that if the vehicle is over 25 years old in New York state it no longer needs to pass emissions, only safety which is awesome... I hope it lasts.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM

the car sounds good just dont pay over 1300 for it. i have a 84 camaro here in texas and it has no emissions at all cuz here if a car is 25 years old you dont need emissions anymore

Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

JRR, most of these guys here dont understand that cars up here in NY simply dont last 25 years. If the car is solid, with little rust and it runs, the 1200-1300 price range is decent for our area. You are going to buy it, then you are going to try and work that little 305 so lemme tell you now....just find a 350 to put in it. Interiors will be tough (im down to my last 2 or 3 junkyards up here that have ANY 3rd gen parts or cars) but there are always seat covers!

T-Tops limit your horsepower? Yeah, if yer running a 1200 hp nitro methane rocketship. Dont worry about that.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. Well he agreed on 1200 so I am picking it up tomorrow. The car is also very very well optioned with power everything. I'm hoping its a Posi Rear but I forgot to check that when I first looked at it. I'll probably post up some pics when I get it.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Thumbs up

it really all depends on your area for price. My car could be worth 1500 here, but closer to 2 or 2500 somewhere else. who knows.

As far as the t-tops. Like scott said. Unless your running one HELL of a motor, youll be fine with subframe connectors and maybe a small cage. Ive been told subframe connectors make the car good to about 550 or 600 horse depending on the quality. From there on your talking about caging it.

Why ditch the cats? They really dont lower your HP much if at all unless they are REALLY clogged up.

A stronger manual tranny would be a good investment for you. the 89+ T5's found in the third gens are a bit stronger than the past t5's.. but still arent anything to brag about. The t-56 will probably be your best bet aside from a TKO tranny. Which requires transmission tunnel mods. I believe th t-56 is a direct fit, maybe a few minor dings and bends.

Either way, welcome to the Camaro community!!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I remember reading somewhere that cars with T-tops and cars without still have the same chassis underneath, just that t-tops have bits cut out of the roof for, well, t-tops.

Don't quote me on it though, I'm not about to go ripping my roof off to check for you.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
I remember reading somewhere that cars with T-tops and cars without still have the same chassis underneath, just that t-tops have bits cut out of the roof for, well, t-tops.

Don't quote me on it though, I'm not about to go ripping my roof off to check for you.
This is true. It's a myth that T top's offer less structural integrity over hard tops. They still use basically the same "T" bar, but the hard top just has thing sheet metal over it.

However, frame twist is associated with both of them. If you put an engine with a substantial amount of horsepower in a T top car, you will notice leaks when it rains. Subframe connectors easily correct this.

Quick Reply: 1983 Z-28 Would appreciate any advice.