Would new heads do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Default Would new heads do?

Hi!
I´m a newbie in the Camaro community, have a 1975 LT, original apart from a Grant steering wheel.
I want to get some more power from the engine, since it´s a "smog" engine.
I would settle for about 50 more horse power, but can I get more power with a different cam, 4 barrel and headers, keeping the original heads ?
Or are the heads only good for a boi anchor?
Since I have a lot of other projects, my budget is slim.

I don´t mind cast iron heads, since the weight is no problem. Too heavy a driver.
If this forum have info that can help, I´m most grateful.

Robert, Sweden

Old 08-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Well the heads are a weak point but so is the low compression motor that year. That said if it's a 2 barrel stock engine you should be able to shake a few ponies out of it with a set of headers a good intake and carb combo (not too big the heads and low comp. can't take a lot) and a mild cam.
Basically you need a package that lets it breathe better. Long tube headers, an Edlebrock performer intake and a 600-650cfm carb with a mild cam upgrade should get you there and maybe then some. Anything more than that will want more compression and better heads.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 AM
2nd Gear member

I would start out with an Eldelbrock Performer. Then a set of headers.and dual exhaust. And a good tune up.Then decide on what you want to do with the car .Then save up your money and maybe get a crate engine.Since the amount of mileage that is on you original engine.

Attached Thumbnails Would new heads do?-130044932860518017_26257430996_o-1-.jpg  
Old 11-04-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Trebor65
Hi!
I´m a newbie in the Camaro community, have a 1975 LT, original apart from a Grant steering wheel.
I want to get some more power from the engine, since it´s a "smog" engine.
I would settle for about 50 more horse power, but can I get more power with a different cam, 4 barrel and headers, keeping the original heads ?
Or are the heads only good for a boi anchor?
Since I have a lot of other projects, my budget is slim.

I don´t mind cast iron heads, since the weight is no problem. Too heavy a driver.
If this forum have info that can help, I´m most grateful.

Robert, Sweden
You need to know a few things before we recommend anything really.

1. Are you in an area that your car would be subject to smog inspections/compliance?
2. What kinda shape your existing mill is in?

If the car is subject to SMOG inspections what you can and can't do and can and can't purchase will be pretty important to know. Headers would have to be CARB approved with AIR tubes etc or stick with factory manifold etc etc. What I would do regardless is do a full leak down on every cylinder, basically determine what kinda health the current motor is in. If it's sick then throwing mods onto the existing mill will only hasten it's demise. If that's the case I would either start putting money away for a rebuild/swap/crate motor or turn that money towards other parts of the car.

If the motor is healthy a top end kit can really wake a motor up and cut a lot of unnecessary weight off the nose of the car. A decent top end kit would run you about $3,000ish. If you're considering a cam swap I would strongly consider hydraulic roller vs conventional hydraulic lifters.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:18 PM
4th Gear Member

OP was a one poster and never came back. 3 year old thread.